sprocket conversion?

ok upgrading a doodlebug from the wimpy 97cc crap motor to a slightly built up 5 hp briggs flat head . want to get rid of wimpy 35 chain and use #40 anyone know where i could get a 6bolt sprocket or adapter to mount a #40 size sprocket?? ty gasgas

Keep in mind that a #40 sprocket will be a good bit larger than a #35 sprocket of the same tooth count (basically, 33.333...% larger OD, due to pitch difference). A #40 70T sprocket is nearly 3" larger in diameter than a #35 70T (OEM DB size, I think), so a #40 70T would be around 1.5" closer to the ground; the larger chain would further reduce ground clearance. A #40 52T sprocket is about the same diameter as a #35 70T.

https://www.nitrochain.com/sprocket-diameters

Your comment about "today's" #35 chain being garbage is incorrect. EK Chains are still made in Japan for example and have been around for 70 years. They pioneered the use of O rings. I use their #35 chain almost exclusively.

Regina has been around for 100 years, and has been a world leader in quality chain in the European motorsports.

RLV made by Xtreme is a later addition, and made in America. Their #35 is also good, and I have used it in the past.

old shed finds

ok upgrading a doodlebug from the wimpy 97cc crap motor to a slightly built up 5 hp briggs flat head . want to get rid of wimpy 35 chain and use #40 anyone know where i could get a 6bolt sprocket or adapter to mount a #40 size sprocket?? ty gasgas
Had to join in and put word in..
Agree with the #40 chain swap.
Our monster modified Rupp kept twisting destroying the 35... Yes sprockets alignment perfect ect.
We were Ebay 35 chain
So 40 swap solved problem and burning the trails now....

Attachments

Your comment about "today's" #35 chain being garbage is incorrect. EK Chains are still made in Japan for example and have been around for 70 years. They pioneered the use of O rings. I use their #35 chain almost exclusively.

Regina has been around for 100 years, and has been a world leader in quality chain in the European motorsports.

RLV made by Xtreme is a later addition, and made in America. Their #35 is also good, and I have used it in the past.
Dave's reply is right-on and very good information (no surprise). My son and I have been using the RLV Extreme # 35 chain on our Bonanza with a built Briggs Raptor engine (approx. 8 HP) w/o any problems whatsoever for many years.
Michael

I74

D.I.D. #35, is also ''real good'' quality chain that is still made in Japan.
It is shot peened & pre stretched also.
10 ft. roll is only 20 bucks.;)

yes if you get good quality #35 chain its acceptable. most #35 is poor china crap. #420 once again ! good stuff will last much longer and require far fewer. adj. and in my opinion safer !! but what do i know?? only been repairing ridding and racing motorcycles sense 1973.

old shed finds

yes if you get good quality #35 chain its acceptable. most #35 is poor china crap. #420 once again ! good stuff will last much longer and require far fewer. adj. and in my opinion safer !! but what do i know?? only been repairing ridding and racing motorcycles sense 1973.
420 or 40 is safer and holds on the sprockets better...

One of my bikes is pushing 17ish HP. Never had an issue with it when using RLV chain (even the RLV Basic). #35 chain will hold more power than most of you guys will ever put out.

I've got a drag project (that's on hold for now) that should be putting out mid-20s HP and it'll be using #35.