stainless flexible exhaust for intake??

fistfullabar

tecumseh powersport stock carbs are no fun. I wanna ride my fox thunderbolt more and I want a motorcycle type carb. I would like to put the carb in front of the engine.i would come up with some clamping type way to keep the carb steady. I like the way Delray made his for the ohh in the thunderbolt. fills the frame up nicely.

fistfullabar

I remember seeing older cars using similar tubing (pipe) for radiators. just want to have options for placement but wondered if the spiral would help or hurt gas flow and mixture. thanks for da replies.

fistfullabar

I would think that flexible exhaust pipe would be inviting a huge intake leak, that spiral seam could wear loose with vibration.
I rode my fox for the first time having owned it for 4 years now but I made the mistake of riding my son's honda70 and the VIBRATIONS are crazy. it felt like the whole bike was gone come flying apart! a little to exciting!!! bearing check???

Well I used to work on heavy trucks- peterbilt, kenworth, sterling, international, etc.
Those trucks use 4” and 5” stainless flex pipe for the exhaust in certain places.
With the proper clamps they would seal up tight, but over time the heat vibration and corrosion would cause them to leak.

65ShelbyClone

Vacuum leaks are a lot more problematic than exhaust leaks and the spiral-wound(?) exhaust flex tubing is going to be a huge vacuum leak. It would need to be airtight convoluted tubing like the flexible gas lines for stoves and water heaters. I think the gas tubing is often stainless too. However, it will need to be supported or vibration will cause work hardening which leads to cracking. The other problem is finding one large enough to not be a major restriction.