Starter generator

Cuda54

Has anyone thought of using a starter to power lights? I have seen tread mill motors used as generators plus they are still motors too. I was talking with a buddy about finding a charging unit and a starter for my 212. He gave me three tread mill motors and reminded me I have a small starter generator off of a old engine. So I am just putting it out there to maybe help others. The pulleys on the tread mill motors can be changed easy to make them work. Just a idea to help others.

Cuda54

I thought more people would like the idea for a charging system for any small engine. To power lights and anything else you wanted too. Plus it would make any engine a electric start.

If the motor has enough torque to spin the engine I see no reason why it would not work. You will still need to have a voltage regulator rated for the voltage range and amp load you put on it. Voltages higher than 14 VDC are rough on bulbs and LED lights.
I'd check out the specifications of the motor and see if it is capable of doing what you want it to do.