Steens Frijole 1st Series Review

So I purchased the Frijole 81C03CF7-3FFB-4CDA-9F33-0CCBB6A4D1AF.jpeg 7D5BF072-D882-49DF-A66A-6D8D9D929864.jpeg 07C81D80-737E-4BCD-BD7D-6083D85B7C99.jpeg 074AE94D-DDCA-43DD-A7CE-66E34D5A829B.jpeg AB7438DB-5BFF-4B5B-A6F1-3A1D433674DC.jpeg 90168F32-B845-4CAC-9B25-5010A5139701.jpeg 08D4A3BE-878B-49EF-BE44-B5C7B06B081F.jpeg Frame and Fork re-pop being made in Fresno Ca. The Craigslist ad was posted below in the Classified section. The frame is well made with nice welds. I’m happy with the quality. The engine plate has no mounting holes so you can set it up for your engine of choice. You will have to set up your kickstand. I’ve bought the ones which you weld the bracket. Taco style pegs are included. The frame comes with the scrub brake bracket but no scrub brake. The forks are beefier than stock Taco but are Not the Taco Mustache style plates. The forks have 1/2” bolt holes and the frame tube is 7/8” ID so you need to use bushings. I got a Niece in Fresno so she picked it for me. Kenny the seller is Cool and a Mini Bike Guy. He also offered Shipping. His friend is the one making them in small batches. I would buy this again.

Lizardking

The frame does look well built . Good job on a very insightful review..

Is the frame numbered and are you sticking to first series color/parts?

Broke Joke

Thank you for your kind words Joe! It was a pleasure to deal with you and your family!
You have an open invitation to visit anytime you are in the Fresno area! Kenny.

Thank you for your kind words Joe! It was a pleasure to deal with you and your family!
You have an open invitation to visit anytime you are in the Fresno area! Kenny.
Thanks Kenny. My Sister and Niece said you were Cool. My Niece jokingly said, Hey Uncle Joe, I thought I was picking up Mini Bike parts. The man handed me a big bag of Cocaine! LoL.

Broke Joke

Okay, I have recently been asked by a couple people if a 3 hp Briggs & Stratton would fit in this frame? I had never tried it because I prefer the look (and the smell) of a two stroke engine! I think the Clinton Panther fits the frame perfectly (again, just my humble opinion). The answer is Yes, it does fit but the air cleaner has to be removed. The good news is a cool carb stack will clear!

Attachments

So I purchased the Frijole View attachment 288880 View attachment 288881 View attachment 288882 View attachment 288883 View attachment 288884 View attachment 288885 View attachment 288886 Frame and Fork re-pop being made in Fresno Ca. The Craigslist ad was posted below in the Classified section. The frame is well made with nice welds. I’m happy with the quality. The engine plate has no mounting holes so you can set it up for your engine of choice. You will have to set up your kickstand. I’ve bought the ones which you weld the bracket. Taco style pegs are included. The frame comes with the scrub brake bracket but no scrub brake. The forks are beefier than stock Taco but are Not the Taco Mustache style plates. The forks have 1/2” bolt holes and the frame tube is 7/8” ID so you need to use bushings. I got a Niece in Fresno so she picked it for me. Kenny the seller is Cool and a Mini Bike Guy. He also offered Shipping. His friend is the one making them in small batches. I would buy this again.
I bought the second one Ken Magee had done very nice guy did a great job on the bike. He has the original Steens that they copied. 86355E58-CE12-49EE-9BD5-AFBB075F29FC.jpeg

]I bought the second one Ken Magee had done very nice guy did a great job on the bike. He has the original Steens that they copied….
Looking good with the OG Taco wheels Tim. Wondering what Motor ya plan on using? On a side note, I bought one of those Frijole seats from Go Karts USA . For $60 plus tax and 2DA9C361-DDDD-4AC5-AB36-52A437806199.jpeg 7CA4AF9D-BE9A-4D97-9F85-29F5663539C1.jpeg free shipping it’s a nice seat.

Last edited:
I’m a flathead guy going with a 3 1/2 Briggs.
Friend, look above in @Broke Joke 's post at the BS 3HP in that frame. The air filter doesn't clear, so if you're going to use that motor, you will have to modify the air cleaner to a kart type "stack" or use an external tank and alternate carburetor. If a BS 3HP would fit, I would have bought one of those frames already. Or, more likely, I have my head up my ass, and someone please fix me if so.

Friend, look above in @Broke Joke 's post at the BS 3HP in that frame. The air filter doesn't clear, so if you're going to use that motor, you will have to modify the air cleaner to a kart type "stack" or use an external tank and alternate carburetor. If a BS 3HP would fit, I would have bought one of those frames already. Or, more likely, I have my head up my ass, and someone please fix me if so.
Already thought of that all my bikes have front mount tanks.usually came on tillers or edgers. View attachment 289393

Already thought of that all my bikes have front mount tanks.usually came on tillers or edgers.
Ah, I assumed you were talking about vintage flathead engines, in original condition. Most of my flatheads are modified too, but I have a little restored 3HP I am looking for a home for, which is why I was asking the question. Oh well, I thought maybe I'd missed something.

Ah, I assumed you were talking about vintage flathead engines, in original condition. Most of my flatheads are modified too, but I have a little restored 3HP I am looking for a home for, which is why I was asking the question. Oh well, I thought maybe I'd missed something.
No you didn’t. I’m not a fan of those carbs I like riding them with some throttle response. This just seems to be my style on the motors all are IC from go karting years. View attachment 289397 View attachment 289400