Stellar Details Needed

Originally, I obviously had other ideas, but I would like to bring this Stellar a little closer to original. It's a pretty cool bike, but I'm not happy with my earlier choices.

I have scoured the internet, and have seen both valid, and even conflicting information.

This bike has the original 6" LIMTCO wheels, and expanding (drum) brake.

Model: Nearest photos in brochures show it might be a Model D, or maybe something with a sissy bar. It does have the front removable plate with "Stellar" and the addresses embossed.

Engine: Some brochure photos of D models list and appear to show an H30 side popper Lauson. I believe this bike would have been after the Tecumseh purchase of course. Other literature shows verbiage of the Briggs 3 HP. I do not believe this bike is old enough to have been equipped with a Clinton 4 cycle engine.

Foot pegs: This bike is the culmination of a couple of different frames. I removed a welded on cross piece that didn't belong on the bike. I see that some of the bikes had a U channel piece welded to the bottom of the frame, equipped with flip up pegs on either bolts or pins. Any direction, or details on that set up would be helpful. Kick Stand: I have never found a correct stand, nor even a decent photo of one. The stand I used is a mix of two different ones with a funky engine slot mount.

Paint: The original blue was faded and rusty. I went with some old paint I had laying around, but would like something a bit closer to the original blue. If anyone knows of a match, or a code, I'd sure appreciate that.

I hope I posted this in the correct place. I didn't think it warranted a "What Is It" post. I know there are some folks here who have gone down the "Stellar" road, so any wisdom and knowledge you wish to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:

Steve73

Doesn't look like it's a culmination of a couple of different frames? Was the cross piece you took off part of the foot pegs?

Thank you all for the comments!

Doesn't look like it's a culmination of a couple of different frames? Was the cross piece you took off part of the foot pegs?
Yes, the cross piece would have been part of the pegs, but it was in real bad shape, heavily corroded. And yes, the seller sent me an extra frame piece, as well as NOS original tires, and brakes and front fork cover. Frame had mount for disc brake, but I cut if off and went with the expanding brake, since it was in such great shape. It works extremely well I might ad.

S1.jpg

S4.jpg

Dave just wondering If you think it could be this Stellar Trail Bike ? :shrug:
The straight bars make it not a model d ... Eric may be onto something
Excellent "eye." I tend to miss details like this and I appreciate you pointing this out Eric and Tim. :thumbsup: But from photos, the "Trail" version has a flat (non-embossed) plate with a decal on it. The plate I got with the bike is embossed and in excellent shape.

S14.JPG

I wish it "wasn't" the Trail version, because that would involve that fancy chain guard I'd have to fabricate and maybe chrome, since I note those appear to be the same one used on the more desirable "Barris" bikes. I could easily fabricate a flat fork piece, but that embossed piece is pretty darned cool. LOL, I do appreciate the help here, but darn it, this seems a bit more complicated than I was anticipating. :laugh: I also had to do a lot of work to the frame itself with repairing the crimped ends (axle) and the seat mounts.

trinik7597

There is always the possibility it is a republic built stellar Dave ... Funny thing is the bike I took that seat off of had the same straight bars that yours does and it was not a trail

Thanks Tim. I guess you must have had that seat before Bill did. I do recall painstakingly taking measurements for someone off of it.

Seems like I do indeed have a mishmash of parts culminating in none of the Stellar models. Straight bars, embossed fork plate, six inch wheels with a drum brake equals....none of them. LOL.

I am currently devoid of any awaiting projects and bored out of my skull, so kinda hoped I could convert this bike into something closer to original. Maybe I'll strip it, weld on some pegs, and source an H30 or 35 and paint it that blue color and call it a day....unless anyone has any better ideas. :)

Thanks again, I do appreciate the guidance!

Did your pegs look like these?
No Steve, the photo of what they "looked" like is above in my earlier response to you. Thanks for these photos, because this is what they "should" look like I think. I'll save those as they're nice close ups. I appreciate it. By the way, did you measure the width of the channel? Looks 100% fabricated.

Last edited:

Steve73

I will take more detailed pics with measurements included. These look easy to make if you can bend the metal. It's 14 Guage steel.

Steve73

Barris super stocker foot pegs/stellar.

OK so I took some pics maybe these can help you out.

Metal is 14 Guage thickness. Screw is 3/8th I think and is 1.5 inches long.

Dave I found this by accident...A model looks close.
Thanks Eric, I saw that ad too in my travels. The A model is far shorter in length, and height. Note how the Clinton tank is almost at the seat. I have virtually the same engine on my bike, and it's a far greater distance.

On that ad you posted, none of the overall length measurements are commensurate with what I have. I checked that a few years ago.

Thanks for noticing and posting though Eric. I'm stuck with the fact that I have a bastard bike, though what parts I do have are nice. They just go to different bikes. LOL I'm at the point where I might fabricate the pegs, strip and paint and slap on a Tec side popper and call it a day.

Dave,
Do you think you might have a Barris bike? You had mentioned that the forks may or may not be correct for the frame. Kinda reminds me of the "mini dragger".

Pat

Or with that "original" paint color in your first posts, it may be a Barris "mod scene" bike
front_plate_01.JPG

Last edited:
Found another pic that might make sense. Rims, foot pegs. etc.
look at the red baron, or the blue blazer (sans the sissy bar).
Thanks Pat. For certain, I have a miss-mash. I note the red one has a spring front end, and I don't have that. And at the end of the day, I have an expanding brake. If I were to trade some parts around, I could fabricate any of these models. Not sure I want to work that hard to recreate a bike that wouldn't be original however. (shrug) I do appreciate all of the comments. They pretty much verified what I'd been thinking, and why I went with no pegs and a two stroke in the first place.

Thanks Pat. For certain, I have a miss-mash. I note the red one has a spring front end, and I don't have that. And at the end of the day, I have an expanding brake. If I were to trade some parts around, I could fabricate any of these models. Not sure I want to work that hard to recreate a bike that wouldn't be original however. (shrug) I do appreciate all of the comments. They pretty much verified what I'd been thinking, and why I went with no pegs and a two stroke in the first place.
Sometimes when you start with a bike "mostly original", once you bring it back to life, you really don't want to ride that "piece of restored history". With a bike like yours, it can still be a great rider but it's a lot easier to ride it around. Regardless, it looks great!!! Now go ride it damnit!! :thumbsup:

Sometimes when you start with a bike "mostly original", once you bring it back to life, you really don't want to ride that "piece of restored history".
I get your point. Honestly, every bike I've restored to original, including those I've invested several thousands in, were always ridden, and always eventually sold. I am just not interested in collecting bikes. Restoring them is where my enjoyment lays, and after that, I quickly tire of them.

In this case, the A400 isn't really enough power for a 235 pound man to cruise the neighborhood with, and not suitable for handing over to grandkids, who'd probably over rev the engine, piss of the neighbors, (it's loud) or foul a plug and force me to go find them. So I figured just like you're saying, that with a Tecumseh side popper it would be more kid friendly. And then I thought that if I am going to dig in to it, maybe I should go down the road towards a more proper restoration....and so it goes.

This is the bike I painted with some left over 20 plus year old base coat from my Dodge. (See avatar) During the clear coating, my compressor died, I had to stop, go and buy a new compressor, then resume. So the paint job sucks too. (grin)

Sorry for the "book." This is how I ended up to where I am with it- and I don't have any projects to work on currently. It's either going up for sale, or I'm going to find a H 30 or 35 Tec to rebuild for it. One of the two.