Stellar shocks

So it's been bugging me that I still have one shock frozen and I'm still trying to get it apart. I constructed this to twist it apart but still no dice. Oh it enabled me to give it a great twist. But I felt as though the tab would bend and snap if I went any further. I did heat it up real good. The outside large tube is the one I heated.

But I was thinking, as I was starting at it in anger: Why not take two pipe wrenches at either end and twist in opposite directions? Or will this damage the pipe and render it useless? I was thinking at the ends right before the pipes are flattened this could be done even if some denting occurrs as the pipes surely don't go that far up on each other. I don't think it'll get dented though. And scratching can be painted over. Has anyone done this? Was also thinking a strap wrench might help.

capguncowboy

If you've ever done plumbing, you know that pipe wrenches leave nasty scars on the surface. If you're going to paint them back up when you're done, then it won't matter much. You'd just have to sand, patch and paint them afterwards.

At this point, you've tried about everything else -- so they're probably not at any more risk of going into the garbage either way.

If you've ever done plumbing, you know that pipe wrenches leave nasty scars on the surface. If you're going to paint them back up when you're done, then it won't matter much. You'd just have to sand, patch and paint them afterwards.

At this point, you've tried about everything else -- so they're probably not at any more risk of going into the garbage either way.
Yeah, exactly. I"ll wrap a pant load of tape around it first. Something for the teeth to dig into instead of my precious Stellar steel...

Yeah, exactly. I"ll wrap a pant load of tape around it first. Something for the teeth to dig into instead of my precious Stellar steel...
Rather than tape, wrap the tube with a couple layers of 220 cloth backed sandpaper or wet/dry paper. Then put your pipe wrench on and be gentle. The sandpaper grips great and a few wraps really protects the surface from the jaws. Works great on Sebacs.

Here is the technique I use to remove jammed fork springs. I insert a long screwdriver through the spring and use it as a twisting lever.

The pic shows it without a rag just for clarity purposes. Make sure you wrap the screwdriver with multiple layers of rag or heavy heat shrink tubing if you need to protect chrome.

Here is the technique I use to remove jammed fork springs. I insert a long screwdriver through the spring and use it as a twisting lever.

The pic shows it without a rag just for clarity purposes. Make sure you wrap the screwdriver with multiple layers of rag or heavy heat shrink tubing if you need to protect chrome.

Wow and that starts the tubes twisting apart? You twist the springs outward or uncurl them in otherwords?

It's just like unscrewing a thread, only springy. It's easier using this method on forks because the tubes don't move. In your application, you might have trouble hanging on to the tubes. What happens with these springs is that under load, they can self tighten on the tab they thread through. It can make it tougher to remove, even if you address the corrosion. This method with the screwdriver gives you the best chance of getting leverage on the spring. Just pay attention to how the screwdriver passes through the coil on the pics. If you don't cross through as shown, it slips. Good luck!

Not Evaporust but I did soak it in Marvels Miracle Oil for about two weeks. I haven't seen that stuff during my travels.
Many members here swear by it. It dissolves rust in 12-24 hours. I use it on shocks and fuel tanks when refurbishing. It's magic! Just submerge the part and come back the next day. You can get it at Harbor Freight. Not sure how good it penetrates but you'll find it useful.

Many members here swear by it. It dissolves rust in 12-24 hours. I use it on shocks and fuel tanks when refurbishing. It's magic! Just submerge the part and come back the next day. You can get it at Harbor Freight. Not sure how good it penetrates but you'll find it useful.
Ok cool next time I'm there I'll ask for it. And hopefully the gimp restocking the shelves with the blank 1000 yard stare will have heard of it AND know where it is.

Ok cool next time I'm there I'll ask for it. And hopefully the gimp restocking the shelves with the blank 1000 yard stare will have heard of it AND know where it is.
It's pricey for a gallon jug. Make sure you get a coupon from a flier. I keep it in a large tupperware container with snap lid so I can keep reusing it again and again, like a dunk tank of parts cleaner. Good luck.

It's pricey for a gallon jug. Make sure you get a coupon from a flier. I keep it in a large tupperware container with snap lid so I can keep reusing it again and again, like a dunk tank of parts cleaner. Good luck.
That reminds me. I've been eye balling that parts washer they have for $45. Is that thing any good? Could I put evaporust in there? If not, is the cleaner you do put in there any good? Maybe this thing is the answer to really rusted out parts?

That reminds me. I've been eye balling that parts washer they have for $45. Is that thing any good? Could I put evaporust in there? If not, is the cleaner you do put in there any good? Maybe this thing is the answer to really rusted out parts?
Evaporust works with a chemical reaction to the rust over time. The parts just need to sit in it for 12 to 24 hours. It's not like a solvent that dissolves things instantly. So no, do not put it in a parts cleaner. As for that cleaner or their solvent, I don't know if good or not. Sounds like a great deal but like everything there, you take a chance and sometimes get burned.

Evaporust works with a chemical reaction to the rust over time. The parts just need to sit in it for 12 to 24 hours. It's not like a solvent that dissolves things instantly. So no, do not put it in a parts cleaner. As for that cleaner or their solvent, I don't know if good or not. Sounds like a great deal but like everything there, you take a chance and sometimes get burned.
Yeah ok i understand. I'll hit some places this wknd and see if i can find sum. On the parts washer, heck for $45 it still a nice shape and size to clean parts regardless. I'll get it.

Oh and speaking of rust... the folks over at Blaster Products have noticed my Instagram pics of my various projects and all the before n after shots featuring PB Blaster. They sent me all the stuff the othet day. Haha. YES!! I'm a corporate shill. Feels good. They are cool people over there.

capguncowboy

Oh and speaking of rust... the folks over at Blaster Products have noticed my Instagram pics of my various projects and all the before n after shots featuring PB Blaster. They sent me all the stuff the othet day. Haha. YES!! I'm a corporate shill. Feels good. They are cool people over there.
Ha, that's awesome!