Steven Auerbach's 1960 Go-Kart Cycle Greenhorn Enduro

This thread is a compilation of sorts...a short introduction to the bike by my friend Mel Ortner (Meloman) and an update which includes a more detailed history.....

I inherited a 1960 Go Kart Mfg. Greenhorn Enduro Model 100 with a Clinton 2 1/2 hp Panther motor. Back in October 1960 my cousin bought this minibike new . The sales receipt was dated 1960 but it says it was a demonstrator so it could be a 1959. When he grew up, being the pack rat that he was, he stored it in his dry heated basement until he died about 15 years ago. He left it to me in his will so I had it shipped to Colorado where I've had it stored in our dry climate here since then.
With the exception of the seat that he modified to support his big butt, it is all original down to the tires. I was there the day he bought it and got to ride it and fall off of it on the first day. It was literally the starting point in what developed into a life long involvement in the motorcycle industry.
I have the original sales receipt, factory sales brochure, factory parts diagram, owner's manual and spare master link. All the factory labels and serial number are still on the frame and engine. After some 40 years of being in storage, a little premix gas and a couple of pulls and it fired right up.

Last edited:
Backround:

As stated, Steven Auerbach was Mel Ortner's Cousin, and lived in Elmont, NY. On October 4th, 1960 he traveled to Port Washington, NY...the home of Ghost Motorcycle Sales. "Ghost Cycle", owned by proprieter Sal DeFeo, was a modest looking establishment in a small neighborhood but it had the reputation of housing some of the most exotic and sought after two-wheeled machinery in existence...from European cafe racers to early motorcross bikes...they offered the rarest of the rare and enthusiasts came from all over for a chance to peruse the inventory.

GHOST Motorcycle Sales_ 194 Main St, Port Washington NY

Wilfrid "Woof" Furlong, Sal Defeo and "Pop" DeFeo...Ghost Motorcycle Sales

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost also carried a line of Go Karts and mini bikes....and on the showroom floor Steven spotted the little Go-Kart Cycle Greenhorn Enduro...the only one in stock...and he plunked down his hard earned paper route money.

Original receipt bears the name of Steven's mother "Mildred"...and the final sale price of $110.00 (Note Sal DeFeo's signature)

Steven apparently also returned to purchase some of the other essentials..." (2-stroke) gas oil, tools, helmet, etc.....

Last edited:
Some of the other original paperwork still with the bike:

A400 Clinton Panther's Owners Manual

Registration and Warranty Card:

Last edited:
Epilogue:

I noticed in Mel’s original post that he was from Berthoud, Colorado..a place I had visited every year for 25 years since my wife’s family hails from that area. He had made it very clear in his post that the bike was not for sale….I shot him a PM just to say hi…tell him how much I loved the bike…and to talk about Colorado. It turns out we had even more in common. He owns a vintage VW bus….my brother-in-law owns a vintage VW restoration shop near Berthoud. Both of our families had originally come from Newark, NJ where he grew up. He’s also a machinist, engineer, entrepreneur, and “ backyard inventor”….all qualities I admire or can relate to in some small way. He has or had a large collection of vintage motorcycles so I sent him some photos of my grandfather on his old Newark P.D. Harley Davidson police special…He’s just a genuinely nice guy and we hit it off right away, we kept in touch.

I made it a point never to pester him about selling me the Enduro.

One day out of the blue I got a call from him…he said “you know I’m thinking about retiring and thinning out my collection…how would you like to own that Go Kart Cycle…”? Well my jaw just about hit the floor…he didn’t have to ask twice and after thanking him profusely, we struck a deal and he dropped the bike off at my brother-in-law’s shop.

I am forever indebted to him (Mel).

From there it was carefully crated and shipped back here to the east coast….not too far from where his cousin Steven had proudly wheeled it out the front door of Ghost Cycle some 50 years ago….

There is a great sense of pride I feel in owning this bike, it is truly a time capsule. There is also a sense of responsibility. I have no cause or reason to ever ride it or even attempt to start it....I have other bikes for that.

To me, this will always be Steven Auerbach's bike....frozen in time...Elmont, NY 1960. He was and is the bike's only "owner"...he was the first to ride it...and the last. I'm just the humble custodian for now.

Last edited:
I took the liberty of replacing the home made seat for these photos:

Through the help of some very generous people I was able to obtain what was left of 2 original Go Kart Cycle seats. Between the two of them I was able to cobble together a pretty decent replacement including original wooden base and the horse hair stuffing.

I asked a friend of mine, Dennis Smith a pinstriper and sign painter, to hand letter the wooden stand for it. I just told him to “make it something special”…he did an awesome job and I wish to thank him also.

Oh yeah…..I kept the old oversized white seat just in case Steven ever comes back and wants to take his bike for another spin…:thumbsup:

I’m submitting the photos with the hope that one might make it into the OldMiniBikes calendar….I think October would be fitting :wink:

Last edited:
I'm captivated by the story/history of this bike, how awsome that this thing stayed so well preserved and all associated paperwork was still with it after so many years!...... You truely have a well documented time capsule here, very nice job on the display stand, Thank you for sharing it with us!.....................Tom.

JTG

I'm glad you got the bike Gerry. I've never seen an original Greenhorn with a kick stand or the frame rail gusset in any of Go Kart's advertisements. I guess it was an upgrade in 1960.

I'm glad you got the bike Gerry. I've never seen an original Greenhorn with a kick stand or the frame rail gusset in any of Go Kart's advertisements. I guess it was an upgrade in 1960.

According to Mel his cousin had the kickstand added (brazed) on. He is adamant though that the neck bracing was on the bike from day one.

Perhaps Go Kart started doing it from the factory...or maybe they realized the problem and began instructing the dealers to do it....or maybe Ghost just did it on their own since the bike was a "demonstrator" and was ridden all the time.

Buying a bike from Ghost was not like buying a bike from "Kiddie City"...these guys were hard-core motorcycle racers.

If Mel Ortner says it was there from day one I have to believe him....he has a phenomenal memory...is extremely well versed in vintage motorcycles and even writes contributing articles and historical articles for the cycle mags.

I love the brazed on kickstand...the worn out grips...the friction tape holding the cables on....it all stands as a testament to the bike's history and how much fun it provided for a young Steven Auerbach.

Last edited:
Great story Gerry, the wood paneling is a nice touch-makes it look "period correct":thumbsup:

So, you wanna sell it?:laugh:
Hahaha...Hent wrote me to say he likes the paneling too...everybody loves the paneling!!!

Sure I'll sell the paneling....how's $25 a sheet sound ??:lol:

Thanks to all who have commented....:thumbsup: