Stock Coleman CT200U engine vs Predator Hemi. Which has more power?

Here is a video from ARC Racing that gave me a ton of info and was worth the time for me. Low production skills, a bit rambling at times, but excellent info. Grab a drink and take notes! (it's an hour long). It will also save you money in parts - I just about guarantee it.

Short answer? Predator

Heck, doesn't seem to show up. Check YouTube for "Clone vs Predator" from ARC Racing

Clone vs Predator - YouTube

Last edited:

SAS289

This subject is very interesting to me.

I think it may depend on how far you are going to build? Yeah the short answer is the predator because you are starting out with a bigger engine. A clone block bored to 70mm with a hemi head.

On the other hand couldn't $90 or so in performance parts get you at or above power levels of a bone stock hemi with your Coleman Hisun engine? After all you already have a 196cc clone. The GX200 and the clones that followed have had quite a history of high performance buildups before the predator and hemi predator was around. Still do.

Last edited:
A few other things he mentions are the bigger valves, superior flat-top piston, and superior rocker setup. All of which he doesn't see needing to upgrade except in crazy-high rpm motors.

Wish I could get the youtube video to link. Maybe I don't have enough posts yet?

Out of the box its 196CC versus 212CC, you can do the same mods for each. No replacement for displacement. Not only does the predator have a larger bore, but it has a longer stroke as well, its essentially a bored/stroked clone. You cant go wrong with either, I say start with the larger bore/stroke motor as stated previously.

If you have the 196 I would just build it unless your looking at doing a torque converter swap too and your 196 has a 5/8 shaft.

SAS289

If you have the 196 I would just build it unless your looking at doing a torque converter swap too and your 196 has a 5/8 shaft.
I agree. But keep in mind you could easily swap crankshaft's during the build if you are going with a torque convertor.

If I were in that situation with a 16mm (5/8) shaft I would order a new crankshaft to go with the engine I already have.

Last edited:
I agree. But keep in mind you could easily swap crankshaft's during the build if you are going with a torque convertor.

If I were in that situation with a 16mm (5/8) shaft I would order a new crankshaft to go with the engine I already have.
Ya agree honesty I would keep the 196 and build it.

if you use the hemi you can reuse to stock gas tank, that way you dont have to screw with the fuel cap being under the seat. Being that all the other Preds have those stupid flat tank pedestals for some reason...

SAS289

if you use the hemi you can reuse to stock gas tank, that way you dont have to screw with the fuel cap being under the seat. Being that all the other Preds have those stupid flat tank pedestals for some reason...
Yeah but I imagine that there is a way to make the Coleman tank work on the non hemi block. I will be using a new old stock greyhound in my Coleman. The very first thing I did was make sure I could use the Coleman tank. I just had to fabricate a small one piece tank mounting bracket that bolts onto the block.