stock muffler on a modified motor

Any thoughts on the use of a stock Honda muffler on a ~18 hp GX200?
Will it run too rich and coat the insides with carbon? Will it hurt anything
other than the performance? OK for idle but not WOT? I appreciate any feedback.

2SlickNick

I imagine it would definitely be rich, too much air going in and not enough coming out.

Just out of curiosity why would you want to do this ?

You can always do what my buddy did... He took a stock muffler and gutted the insides, he also add 1' tubing at the flange instead of the 3/4 stock tubing.
He did this on his modified motor but it is a sleeper. It has great torque and power, but the engine definitely wants to breathe and wants to do more.

Last edited:
I imagine it would definitely be rich, too much air going in and not enough coming out.

Just out of curiosity why would you want to do this ?

You can always do what my buddy did... He took a stock muffler and gutted the insides, he also add 1' tubing at the flange instead of the 3/4 stock tubing.
He did this on his modified motor but it is a sleeper. It has great torque and power, but the engine definitely wants to breathe and wants to do more.
thanks Nick, just curious myself about the sleeper concept. I'm guessing the ton of added backpressure would move the power band down a lot. I wanted to do this to be able to sometimes ride in areas hostile to headers. Without rejetting I imagine copious carbon building up in the head and exhaust which I don't want. I also imagine so much backpressure that it would hurt something internal. The sheer amount of exhaust gas thru the header seems like it would blow a stock muffler off onto the road LOL. Too much performance lost for the sake of sound I think is the final answer. have a good day and ride on!

No way of telling as we don't know what has been done to the motor. To get 18 HP would be on the ragged edge of reliability unless it was a braced block with a big bore and stroke. If it is just a stock size you would need a VE over 100% to get 1.5HP per cubic inch. That said it requires the correct length intake and exhaust to work together to make that kind of power. Putting a stock muffler will just kill any tuning that you had and cause a big drop in power. On the other hand if it is a bored and stroked motor with a cam with a wide LSA then it may run OK but you would just have to try it.

No way of telling as we don't know what has been done to the motor. To get 18 HP would be on the ragged edge of reliability unless it was a braced block with a big bore and stroke. If it is just a stock size you would need a VE over 100% to get 1.5HP per cubic inch. That said it requires the correct length intake and exhaust to work together to make that kind of power. Putting a stock muffler will just kill any tuning that you had and cause a big drop in power. On the other hand if it is a bored and stroked motor with a cam with a wide LSA then it may run OK but you would just have to try it.
Ole4, Thank you. I have learned greatly from all your posts, you know these engines deeply and everybody gains from having guys like you on-board.