Stolen mini bike

desert rat

You do have no option but to call the cops. You opened a case file on stolen property, it has to be closed. If they find anyone on it before you report it found it is still stolen property. Get a copy of that final report and keep it handy, you may be asked to prove ownership now.

mustangfrank

Went over there intent to just pay the asking price and get the bike back without a shi# show.

Gave the money...loaded on my trailer...and my wife says to the seller...you know this was stolen ?

It is our granddaughters.

Seller immediately gave the money back...saying they'd received the mini as a gift!
Glad to hear it, way to stay on it!

I agree with a comment above, you need to update the police report just to remove the mini bike from the stolen property lien, at a minimum. F them, if they innocently received it they can provide the police that info and exonerate themselves, it's not your problem.

I74

Thinking some more on this,,

I would put a value on that bike of ''well over'' $ 500,, so they will be ''definately'' charged more than just for petty theft / misdemeanor.

Doing that also,, will show declared value for unlikely / future insurance purposes ect.

Last edited:

desert rat

This one was a custom built bike. Parts = $2000.00 plus labor@ 75.00/hour x ? =?, plus design/ engineering time = ?
I would get a value for insurance purposes anyway and that is good advice for any collectors that have these. One of my cars has an agreed/ insured value of $50,000.00. Blue book on that car is $300.00 on a good day, I can prove $40,000.00 in paid labor and parts. This is something for everyone to think about. CYA.

Lizardking

What a great ending to what started as a tear jerker!! I am surprised the bike wasn't changed to disguise it. I have my dogs and my trusty 1911 as a deterrent. I have a sign that reads, "If my dogs don't stop you my 1911 will".. You handled it the correct way. Now finish it by letting the police officer that took your report know the story on how you found it. ...Great job by the wife letting the person know that you knew that bike is your stolen property ! All's well that ends well.!!

Last edited:
This one was a custom built bike. Parts = $2000.00 plus labor@ 75.00/hour x ? =?, plus design/ engineering time = ?
I would get a value for insurance purposes anyway and that is good advice for any collectors that have these. One of my cars has an agreed/ insured value of $50,000.00. Blue book on that car is $300.00 on a good day, I can prove $40,000.00 in paid labor and parts. This is something for everyone to think about. CYA.
This is quite true, I built that bike from the ground up in my machine shop at a minimum shop rate of $100.00 per hour. Knowing there is well over 80 hours plus body shop charge for prep and painting it totals over $8,000.00 so I am very happy to see it recovered. Robert also spent a huge time and money investment for recovery himself.

copyman

Yes you definitely handled it a lot different then we would of here in NJ. My buddies and I would of went there with baseball bats and it wouldn't of been to play a game. I know a couple of my buddies not only would of roughed them up but would of taken any money in their pockets for rental of mini bike and wear and tear on the bike!!!!

I74

Yes you definitely handled it a lot different then we would of here in NJ. My buddies and I would of went there with baseball bats and it wouldn't of been to play a game. I know a couple of my buddies not only would of roughed them up but would of taken any money in their pockets for rental of mini bike and wear and tear on the bike!!!!
With justice like that,, I'll bet your theft crime rate where you reside is pretty low. ;)