Streached Alex-Reyn With Big Block

Oldsalt

Was given an Alexander-Reynolds by a friend of my youngest son. It had been hit by a gang disk when the lot it was hideing in was being plowed. Had a pic of the bike before taking it apart but for some reason it won't upload[?]. The attached pictures are of the front wheel...before and after it was repaired. Had to straighten the rim and the center and had to make a new hub and weld it in. The other pics shows the frame has been chopped apart and "slugs" have been made to extend the frame 4" and raise it 1-1/2". That's necessry to do if a large engine is to be installed. In this case a Tec cast iron 6 HP that has a 1" dia. output shaft. Really, this frame and forks were so bent by the encounter with the tractor that it would never be a candidate for restoration. The last pic shows rhe frame tacked up with the engine and Comet 30 vari-speed drive. The engine was given to me for working on a guys mini. I found the Comet in the back seat of a 51 Merc. a friend had just purchased. So far all parts have been for free.

Oldsalt

nice cant wait to see it finish. i have the same minibike.
BT
As you have one of these things maybe you can tell me what the two bent metal tabs are neer the top of the forks. [See last picture]. If the tabs were straight out, without the 90 degree bends, they might be used to mount a headlight. Did they hold a number plate? Can you post a pic of your machine? I know very little about this brand.

OS,
I like the "drag bike" look of the stretched frame. With the 6hp Tec, it should have the power to get you safely up to highway speeds...

Not to change the topic, but is that a Fairbanks Morse 4 cylinder in the background?

Also like the Enfield in the photo. You're certainly a diversified man with when it comes to "toys".

BT
As you have one of these things maybe you can tell me what the two bent metal tabs are neer the top of the forks. [See last picture]. If the tabs were straight out, without the 90 degree bends, they might be used to mount a headlight. Did they hold a number plate? Can you post a pic of your machine? I know very little about this brand.
they hold a number plate check my pic's out i had the same one

Oldsalt

OS,
I like the "drag bike" look of the stretched frame. With the 6hp Tec, it should have the power to get you safely up to highway speeds...

Not to change the topic, but is that a Fairbanks Morse 4 cylinder in the background?

Also like the Enfield in the photo. You're certainly a diversified man with when it comes to "toys".
Nitro

Been wanting to streach a frame and this was a good opportunity because the frame had to be cut apart just to straighten it. At that point it was decided to also jack up the heigth of the frame to accomodate the tall big block motor. I expect it to be fairly quick in comparison to most mini bikes around Walla Walla.

The old 4 cylinder engine in the background is a 1915 Holt. That was the tractor company that became Caterpillar. It's a 45 HP. They also made them in 60 HP and, I belive a really rare 75 HP. I'm not an expert on Holt engines, this is the only large tractor engine that I own. Had to make a lot of parts to make it run.

Ya. The Royal Enfield is another toy. The last 500cc single made by Royal Enfield in England was 1955. But They sold all the tooling and patterns that year to India so they could make military and cop bikes. These things have been made in India since '55 with little change. That one is a 2006 model! Bought it new for 3800 bucks.

Oldsalt

Today was exhaust pipe and drive guard day.

The pipe was made from the bent end of a weed eater tube. Chopped in sections and rewelded with the bends positioned to clear the stock air filter and also clear the rear fender and still be parallel with the frame tubes. The limp wrested federally mandated "Safty Notice" stickers are still on the weed eater tube. A brace, off the Comet back plate up to the pipe, will be added so that it won't vibrate off the engine.

Aluminum guards were fabricated for the Comet belt drive and the chain drive. Tomorrow they will be polished and mounted.

OS,
The "Walla Walla Rocket" looks good. I like the fabbed jackshaft. You gave me an idea that I might have to "borrow." I will drill and tap a set of internal threads on the rear jackshaft. I have a foot long jackshaft with a keyway broached into it. I was going to use external threads to mount the driven sheave, but the internal will be easier since I already have the drill and tap.

On another note, there was a hugh Holt show in Cali this past summer. From what I read, it was a once in a lifetime show. With gas/diesel prices what they are and the weight of hauling a complete Holt tractor around, I can understand why.

I have a small collection of hit and miss and antique Briggs, Maytags, Nelson, etc. I certainly have enough, but I would like to restore an old motorcycle.
I had a chance to buy an old Triumph Bonneville but farted around too long on it and the guy sold it.
Oh well, there will be other bikes in the future.
Larry

Oldsalt

OS,
The "Walla Walla Rocket" looks good. I like the fabbed jackshaft. You gave me an idea that I might have to "borrow." I will drill and tap a set of internal threads on the rear jackshaft. I have a foot long jackshaft with a keyway broached into it. I was going to use external threads to mount the driven sheave, but the internal will be easier since I already have the drill and tap.

On another note, there was a hugh Holt show in Cali this past summer. From what I read, it was a once in a lifetime show. With gas/diesel prices what they are and the weight of hauling a complete Holt tractor around, I can understand why.

I have a small collection of hit and miss and antique Briggs, Maytags, Nelson, etc. I certainly have enough, but I would like to restore an old motorcycle.
I had a chance to buy an old Triumph Bonneville but farted around too long on it and the guy sold it.
Oh well, there will be other bikes in the future.
Larry
There is, of course, no way a big engine [like the cast iron block Tec] can be put in a mini bike frame without a jackshaft. Also there usually isn't enough room in the other direction if the frame is not streached due in large measure to the jackshaft.

Believe it or not I was given the 45 HP Holt motor. I would never have paid the price folks want for them nowadays. But it will need it's own trailer.

Oldsalt

Today the aluminum drive guards were sanded, got their first buffing, and then mounted mounted. Also nearly got the throttle hook up to the carb done. Looks like it is about time to disassemble and weld up the frame.

Oldsalt

Old Salt,

Why is this so?

Thanks
The driven sprocket at he rear tire is typically about 1" inside the frane. If a clutch, of any variety, is mounted on the engine shaft and it's drive sprocket is aligned with the driven sprocket the much wider engine will be hanging too far out the opposite side of the frame. Even a 5 HP Briggs or a clone motor is a bit too wide. A jackshaft makes it so that a really wide engine, or any engine, can be centered in the frame and hopefully still be able to get your feet on the pegs.

Oldsalt

Wow! how'd you polish em up so shiny? i just put a new heavy duty recoil on my briggs and it's aluminum, i'd like to polish it like that.
After welding the welds were sanded down. Then a little hand work with emery cloth to remove most af the scratches. I say most because I am not an anal retentive when it comes to perfect parts on a non-show machine. The polishing is done with a spiral sewn [the most common type] cotton buffing wheel. The compound I used for the polish was the coursest grade, the black stuff. I won't bother to later use finer grades because it looks just fine now. All you really need to do aluminum polishing is a motor to turn at least a 8 inch diameter buff. I believe even Harbor Freigh has such items. They also have the polishing compounds and buffing wheels.

Oldsalt

Today I again got some time to continue the project. Moved the tank mounts forward [the frame has been streched 4"] and added eyelets for supporting the brake and throttle cables. Zip ties will not be necessary like the chopper builder dude on TV uses. Welded up everything and ground and sanded the welds. Next is paint. Originally the wheels were a cream/white color. So I'm thinking I'll do the same thing and also paint the engine the same color. The frame, unless I change my mind sooon will be brown. Yes, brown. I've never had a brown mini bike. The original color for the frame and etc. was metalic purple. But, as this is not a restoration, I don't think I'll do that.

Oldsalt

Finially getting to the final assembly stage. The brown frame with the original cream colored wheels and engine don't look too bad...I think. After buying new seat, tires, tubes, bearings, throttle, cables, chain, paint, and etc. I have around $150 total in the project. Now that I can see the thing together it's really looking like my kind of mini. Mechanically sound, cheap, and old school. This bike was buried in tall weeds and a tractor pulling a disk hit it. The frame had to be cut into pieces to straighten it. If it had been in better shape a restoration would have been done. The funny looking wheels are beginning to look O.K. to me! Should be running soon.