Strikes in China

This video provided by Radio Free Asia.

??????????????? (1) - YouTube

Notice the police do not react with excessive force ( no tear gas no rubber bullets ) , and the strikers even help one police officer get back his line.

There jave been at least 10 major strikes in China this month, one of the most active for labour unrest with at least 10,000 people involved and no one has died.

These are very good developments.

These workers are fighting to get the same rights we have here in the west. Rights that unions here are loosing

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Yeah, but it probably wont be long before the Tanks come out and people start disappearing! It's what you don't see happening in China, that cause for concern.

Oldsalt

There is an old Asian saying about the nail that stands up the highest is the first to get hit with the hammer. The Chinese have never had any freedoms since there was written history. They expect to be closely governed and expect to mess with the 'established order' only if you have a death wish. It may be in the genes. The fact that the 'rank and file' want-a-be union members have been nice guys and have not acted in any measure like North American strikers is that they are still pretty scared. The Chinese government has not allowed any real public displays of anti-government sympathy without the hammer coming down. Hide and watch.

There is an old Asian saying about the nail that stands up the highest is the first to get hit with the hammer. The Chinese have never had any freedoms since there was written history. They expect to be closely governed and expect to mess with the 'established order' only if you have a death wish. It may be in the genes. The fact that the 'rank and file' want-a-be union members have been nice guys and have not acted in any measure like North American strikers is that they are still pretty scared. The Chinese government has not allowed any real public displays of anti-government sympathy without the hammer coming down. Hide and watch.
Chinese Internationale - Rock version by Tang Dynasty - YouTube
Even in the Chinese version

" the Soldiers too will take strike action, they'll break ranks and fight no more "

So its not an alien concept for them to graspe Oldsalt

SOme place in Syria right now the loyal army is fighting itself. Its own defectors as they Arab springs rolls on.
I can't wait untill its Spring in China!

I would also like to add you can't blockade anyplace on a picket line anymore.
If the company does not sue you, the strike breakers charge you with something, then the police riot squad will bust your head with a club and haul you off.
Its also perfectly leagal for the company and authoritites to follow you, in public photgraph you and threaton your job if your behaviour is nothing less than perfect ( may also sue and charge you with something ).

If your lucky the local Sherif's office of Constabulary will keep an eye on things from a distance. They gave me a phone number to bypass dispatch in 09. The quietly blocked off both ends of my street and arrested some AFI security people who were talking pictures of my wife and home.

The police my not be your friends if your a trouble maker, but the locals are not fond of outsiders making trouble in their town.

This would never happen today.
The SWAT teams would raid the plant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kusHTbT9Yxg

Last edited: