Stripped threads

Hyde

Hey yall. I have a tilly 212 and stripped the side cover internal threads in the block by tightening the bolt too much. I was looking at rethreading it from a m8 to a m10 but that is the last thing I want to do. So I was wondering if anyone has used helicoil to "rethread" on these engines, and if so would it be able to handle about 17-18 foot pounds. With occasionally pulling it out every couple times a year. Thanks!

im not sure, man that is unfortunate though. If it was just 1 thread, Maybe install the helicoil and only go to 10 foot pounds with a lockwasher or something. Unless it was one of the bottom boltss, this dosnt seem to be a bad option.

I once used helicoil on a Chevy V -8 cylinder head and it held fine .
get the right size drill bit, keep it straight, and you should be O K.
when you insert the coil put some lock tight around it.

Search up GARDSert. I’ve repaired a metric $h@t ton of stripped threads with them, follow their instructions and you will have a permanent repair..

You can trust a Heli-coil. Before retirement, I was an aerospace machinist for decades. Every threaded hole in aluminum parts was heli-coiled from the start, brand new! You're trusting your life on them every time you fly.

Yes, Heli-coils work fine too but in my experience Heli-coils will back out with the bolt if you remove them often. May be user error on my part?
Not saying a GARDSert won’t but I’ve never had one back out.. one other thing with a GARDSert, you must have plenty of meat around the hole because they go in extremely tight, so if you are thin on a side it could possibly crack the case.

Robertt8883

Hey yall. I have a tilly 212 and stripped the side cover internal threads in the block by tightening the bolt too much. I was looking at rethreading it from a m8 to a m10 but that is the last thing I want to do. So I was wondering if anyone has used helicoil to "rethread" on these engines, and if so would it be able to handle about 17-18 foot pounds. With occasionally pulling it out every couple times a year. Thanks!
Hi I work at TESLA and rebuild alot of different things for them. I use helicoils almost daily, you just have to make sure you take your time and doing it right when you drill, tap and insert the Helicoil. They hold pretty well.Also make sure you use a coil length less than the depth of the hole,You dont want the helical to bottom out.

Hello. Heli coils do work when done right. Use lock tight on the threads of the heli coil. Another thing you can try is a bolt slightly longer. Sometimes the holes are deeper and you can catch a couple more threads.