Stuck Bushings & Bearings

mustangfrank

Get you one of these!

16015901420901846538751648922232.jpg

I got teased years ago when I bought this tool designed for pulling transmission pilot bushings out of crankshafts...called me a lazy tool slut. Well I am but I found an amazing use for it yesterday tearing down my new Bonanza...pulled every frozen bronze bushing and especially the bearings out of the wheels without any damage or wondering if the screwdriver or drift was on the bearing or parent material hammer it out method (done it many times before).

I would have done damage to the aluminum seat for the bearings in the wheels without it, I didn't even realize the hole on Bonanza wheels was just larger than the center bearing race. The bearings and bushings could be reused it pulled them so evenly.

Could have used a heavier slide hammer but I was covered in PB Blaster and rust and didn't feel like tracking down an adapter yesterday so it took a minute of slide hammering for each. Also mine will only do 5/8" ID bearings but luckily that's all I've run across so far.

Yep. Blind bushing puller. I've got a nice set I've used a few times. Has four different heads. I use a hammer and a skinny hardened rod turned into a drift to remove mini bike bearings though, as long as they don't have a spacer. The puller grabs the center spindle and will destroy the bearings. My drift grabs the outer edge.

A tool you'll seldom use, but when you do, you really need it. Here's the one I got. One of my better Cheap Chinese Crap Tools.

Puller.jpg

mustangfrank

Yep. Blind bushing puller. I've got a nice set I've used a few times. Has four different heads. I use a hammer and a skinny hardened rod turned into a drift to remove mini bike bearings though, as long as they don't have a spacer. The puller grabs the center spindle and will destroy the bearings. My drift grabs the outer edge.

A tool you'll seldom use, but when you do, you really need it. Here's the one I got. One of my better Cheap Chinese Crap Tools.

View attachment 269531
Nice...I have an OTC with the 5lb hammer, I'll have to check out their website for some of those type puller heads. I'm still impressed with the 30 buck Lisle (I think) performance but who doesn't want a bigger hammer?