Super Bronc 2 VT-1040 Tire Removal / Tire replacement question

I have a couple of Duro knobby HF240 21-12.00-8 tires on order and have some questions... I'm new to all things Super Bronc 2 VT-1040 and ATV-style tire, are there any tips/tricks/step-by step procedures that I need to know regarding removing the wheels and bad tires from the super Bronc 2? I don't have a build sheet/manual for this, I've emailed Rick Chatten for the manual, but he's got to get some made up, so I'm flying blind in the meantime. Once the wheels are off the bike, is removing the old tires something best left for a tire store, or something that The avg. Joe can tackle on his own? Any helpful tips or advice is much appreciated! Thanks, in advance for your replies

IMG_5920.JPG

IMG_5919.JPG

Divouneh

Removing an old tire without special tools is quite impossible: if you want to keep the same tire [emoji22].

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

My advice having done this a few times ...

Have a MOTORCYCLE/ATV shop do the work .. not an automotive tire store.
Discount tire did 3 for me and screwed them up EVERY time.
They couldn't seat the beads correctly and one guy proudly told me he couldn't get the bead to seat and he tried all the way to 30 Lbs ... the tire was 15lbs MAX to seat the bead and 10lbs max otherwise.

Go to someone who does ATV tires for a living!!

On our VT-8 we removed (cut off) the rear tire ourselves. Then we carefully wire-wheeled and cleaned up the rim where the tire bead will be set so that it gets a good seal. Finally, we primed and painted both the inside and outside of the rim. THEN we took it to a shop that services ATVs to install the new tire.
Michael

SAS289

I would say to try it first and if you can't complete it or get too frustrated, then take it to a shop.

I found a super slow leak from the side wall on my rear tire. Tire was easier than I thought it would be to remove.

Guys, Changing tires easily or difficultly all has to do with the step in the rim.

I haven't dismounted the tires on a SB rim yet but will be doing so sometime soon. These 8'' tires on the Baja rims are a one man job. As a matter of fact when I am mounting the new tire I just lube it and shove the wheel through the first bead by hand. Then use the tire tools to flip the front bead on.

The 6'' DB-30 wheels are just a little more difficult but they are a one man job as well.

Same story with 6'' Go Kart tires. One man job.

I have changed a countless number of Honda 8'' and 9'' tires over the years and always have done it myself.

Just don't let it intimidate you and use twice as much lube as you think you need. I always use WD-40 with great results. Randy, Harleys Papa, told me he uses Vegetable Oil to change tires. Thought that was interesting and will give it a try.

And MAKE SURE that you are taking it off the correct side. There is a right side and a wrong side on most rims. Look for the narrowest bead area and that is the side you want to use. If both sides look the same work on the side opposite the valve stem. Just one less thing to fight that way.

If you cant beak the bead by squeezing the tire in a bench vise then cut a circle of the proper size in 2 layers of some 3/4'' plywood and used a threaded rod up the center with a couple of pieces of steel on each side to spread the load. I know there are exceptions to everything but I have never cut a tire off a rim in my life. And I have changed thousands of tires from 4'' to 24''.... :shrug:

Maybe I have just been lucky.

Doug

Edit; Like Michael suggested above. If the rims are rusty, wire brush them with a power tool not a hand brush and apply a coat of primer and paint. This will eliminate the possibility of a leak at the bead from a rough surface.

Last edited:
I have a couple of Duro knobby HF240 21-12.00-8 tires on order and have some questions... I'm new to all things Super Bronc 2 VT-1040 and ATV-style tire, are there any tips/tricks/step-by step procedures that I need to know regarding removing the wheels and bad tires from the super Bronc 2? I don't have a build sheet/manual for this, I've emailed Rick Chatten for the manual, but he's got to get some made up, so I'm flying blind in the meantime. Once the wheels are off the bike, is removing the old tires something best left for a tire store, or something that The avg. Joe can tackle on his own? Any helpful tips or advice is much appreciated! Thanks, in advance for your replies.QUOTE]

I was going to attach a link but there are so many videos on YouTube that you can choose for yourself and learn.....

TNT...Taint Nuttin Tuit

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=How+to+change+the+tires+on+my+minibike&spf=1501010552921

Only 2,430,000 results.....

Doug

Last edited:
If you are scrapping the old tires just cut them off :thumbsup: I cut the sidewall with a razor knife leaving enough to grab it in my bench vise, then cut it down to the bead grab it with a pair of vise grips and then cut the bead with a dremmel cut off wheel :thumbsup: Clean the rim, paint and then take it to an ATV shop or a place that works on lawn tractors :thumbsup: While I do mount them my self I have had a couple that were a pain in the a$$ and our local lawn mower repair shop got them done for me :thumbsup:

chrisr

This link has some Super Bronc manual info in it.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...per-bronc-3.html?highlight=super+bronc+manual

I have a couple of Duro knobby HF240 21-12.00-8 tires on order and have some questions... I'm new to all things Super Bronc 2 VT-1040 and ATV-style tire, are there any tips/tricks/step-by step procedures that I need to know regarding removing the wheels and bad tires from the super Bronc 2? I don't have a build sheet/manual for this, I've emailed Rick Chatten for the manual, but he's got to get some made up, so I'm flying blind in the meantime. Once the wheels are off the bike, is removing the old tires something best left for a tire store, or something that The avg. Joe can tackle on his own? Any helpful tips or advice is much appreciated! Thanks, in advance for your replies

View attachment 98723

View attachment 98724