Super Bronc project has begun

Well I cleaned up the work area and put away all the Honda Rancher parts. I have a Rancher that I picked up cheap. By the looks of it when I bought it, it had been swamped. Well sure enough it had been Baptized. Broke rod and all. Spins freely though... So I have a Spare motor to fix it but I just haven't felt the desire to work on it...

So I slid it off to the side, cleaned up the mess and broke out the Pit Bull lift. Nice little lift if you need one that is safe and stable to work on. So I got the bike on the lift and tied down and decided to call it a night and think about how I want to do what I need to do.

If anybody has information to share about these bikes please feel free to add to this thread as I plan to document every piece as I take it apart. If nothing else it might help someone in the future when they are trying to figure out how something works.

Here it is in all its glory...

So the tear down will begin shortly. With lots of pictures to come.

Doug

Last edited:
Yes Michael, it is a survivor bike and it is 40 years old. AND I haven't even bothered to ride it yet. It needs proper service first.

It will get completely disassembled and documented and cleaned and parts replaced that need to be replaced. Like the sloppy bushings in the steering and the chain is stiff. And the squeaky bolts that need a touch of cleaning and reassembling with a proper lube. And the wiring needs to be tidied up. And the rear brake is not much per Andy. Who ever assembled this bike originally had no clue about cable routing and wiring. The brake cables are dry and the throttle cable is dry and the chain has never been lubed by the look of it.

It just needs a little TLC. And I plan to provide all of it that it needs. I don't imagine the front wheel has ever been off so the hub bearings could be cleaned and repacked. It runs a little rich too. A lot rich really.

So it needs plenty but do I have to do it before I ride it??? Not at all but that's not who I am with something like this.

Just stay tuned.

Doug

Does anybody have any good pictures of the kick stand? Or a good kick stand for sale?

This one is damaged and possibly bent or at least tweaked. It is the one thing that I need some pics of to see what I need to do with it.

I already bought one of Jeep's reproduction kick stands a month before I bought this bike. I like the new kick stand as it is very substantial but I would prefer to fix the original if I can.

Thanks,

Doug

The kickstand you have is an early model VT8 with the pencil kickstand. Those didn't hold up as good as the second design which was the blade style. As a survivor try to leave it as original as possible.

As a survivor try to leave it as original as possible.

Oh I don't want to modify anything. I don't plan to modify anything. BUT the kickstand is a huge concern to me. If I cant rely on it functioning all the time every time I will change it. I would rather have the later model kickstand bolted on and not have to worry about the bike ending up on the ground. And the original stand wont hold it up unless you chock the tire.... Is there a fix for the originals or once they are damaged there junk???

I am going to make a small offset bracket for the speedometer as the cable and the headlight want to occupy the same space. The speedo is laid down so far, for the cable to clear the headlight that you cant read the speedo. I don't really care about reading the speedo but I think it looks out of place run across the headlight like it is. One thing I wont do is drill holes. If it wont fit an existing hole it wont happen.

I have the accessory horn for it and I have the optional gas tank for it. I do have a question about the gas tank. I have seen pictures of these with the optional tank and with and without the square tank on the engine. Is there a correct way? Or do you run both tanks? Although I don't see any way to fill the square tank once the optional tank is installed. I don't like the way it looks with out the engine mounted tank but I do like the way it looks with the optional tank. :shrug:

I also have a question about the headlight switch. This bike has toggle switches mounted in the headlight bucket for ON/OFF and HI/LOW beam. Is this correct? When did they use the switch on the handle bars? Or was it an option? I have a single red button on the right for a kill switch. Correct?

Doug

When I was dragging out the Pit Bull lift I apparently injured my lower back... So this project start will have to be delayed about a week or until I can stand and walk with out back, hip and leg pain.....

Just my luck. But please keep the conversation going and help me out with details.

Thanks,

Doug

Get rid of that OEM "pencil" kickstand and install Jeep2003's (Bryan). It is a HUGE improvement. We installed a much stronger spring on ours that we bought from Bryan. In the words of Ron Kimball- "The original kickstands were pretty bad."
Michael

Get rid of that OEM "pencil" kickstand and install Jeep2003's (Bryan). It is a HUGE improvement. We installed a much stronger spring on ours that we bought from Bryan. In the words of Ron Kimball- "The original kickstands were pretty bad."
Michael
I've already purchased two of his, and they're really good. He has one on ebay right now.

Last edited:
Oh I don't want to modify anything. I don't plan to modify anything. BUT the kickstand is a huge concern to me. If I cant rely on it functioning all the time every time I will change it. I would rather have the later model kickstand bolted on and not have to worry about the bike ending up on the ground. And the original stand wont hold it up unless you chock the tire.... Is there a fix for the originals or once they are damaged there junk???

I am going to make a small offset bracket for the speedometer as the cable and the headlight want to occupy the same space. The speedo is laid down so far, for the cable to clear the headlight that you cant read the speedo. I don't really care about reading the speedo but I think it looks out of place run across the headlight like it is. One thing I wont do is drill holes. If it wont fit an existing hole it wont happen.

I have the accessory horn for it and I have the optional gas tank for it. I do have a question about the gas tank. I have seen pictures of these with the optional tank and with and without the square tank on the engine. Is there a correct way? Or do you run both tanks? Although I don't see any way to fill the square tank once the optional tank is installed. I don't like the way it looks with out the engine mounted tank but I do like the way it looks with the optional tank. :shrug:

I also have a question about the headlight switch. This bike has toggle switches mounted in the headlight bucket for ON/OFF and HI/LOW beam. Is this correct? When did they use the switch on the handle bars? Or was it an option? I have a single red button on the right for a kill switch. Correct?

Doug
We have both fuel tanks on ours including the proper 3-way diverter valve, however, we never use the engine-mounted tank. We only use the top mounted (auxillary)tank. The engine mounted tank CAN be filled, but it is a royal pain in the ass to do so. You have to get "creative" and come up with a flexible tube you can connect to your gas can spout that you can snake in there. It is also difficult to see what level you have filled it to and very easy to over fill it. The auxillary tank was offered to increase the riding time/range w/o having to refuel. The headlight toggle switches you have are standard and correct- we have them on our bike. One is on-off and one is hi-low beam. The multi-function handlebar switch you mentioned is an upgrade which was designed to use with the horn as well. The single red button was standard and what we have on our bike. Have you called Ron Kimball at Powertec yet and chatted with him? If not , you are missing a great opportunity to talk to one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and he is a wealth of knowledge on these bikes.
Michael

Last edited:
Tires are 22 x 11 x 8. I have no clue what the sprocket tooth count is. What ever is stock. I am sure someone on here knows the numbers.
Your tires are oversize in height. (no rubbing issues on rear fender mounting bolts?) The standard/OEM size is 21 X 12 X 8
Michael

We have both fuel tanks on ours including the proper 3-way diverter valve, however, we never use the engine-mounted tank. We only use the top mounted (auxillary)tank. The engine mounted tank CAN be filled, but it is a royal pain in the ass to do so. You have to get "creative" and come up with a flexible tube you can connect to your gas can spout that you can snake in there. It is also difficult to see what level you have filled it to and very easy to over fill it. The auxillary tank was offered to increase the riding time/range w/o having to refuel. The headlight toggle switches you have are standard and correct- we have them on our bike. One is on-off and one is hi-low beam. The multi-function handlebar switch you mentioned is an upgrade which was designed to use with the horn as well. The single red button was standard and what we have on our bike. Have you called Ron Kimball at Powertec yet and chatted with him? If not , you are missing a great opportunity to talk to one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and he is a wealth of knowledge on these bikes.
Michael
You know Michael, I have several parts to plumb the tank that came with the bike and all the factory paperwork to show how to assemble every piece of it. I just have not sat down and looked through the box of parts and or looked at the paperwork yet. So I would imagine that the diverter valve is in the box with everything else.

Thank you for the information on the headlight mounted switches and the kill switch. I didn't think the switches were wrong as much as I was thinking that it was an early bike verses a late bike thing.

I have not called Ron Kimball yet but it is on my list of things to do. Everyone speaks very highly of him that's for sure.

As far as the kickstand goes I figured that I would end up with Jeeps installed and the original one stored away. I will just paint it Argent and let it go at that. It would really hurt my feeling to see it fall over and hit the ground because of the kickstand failing.... In the picture in my Avatar I have 2 little pieces of mulch bark chocking the rear tire....... front and rear so that it wouldn't move.

Thanks again,

Doug

All I know is that this is one Big Beautiful Bronc..:thumbsup::thumbsup:...but I know you will do it justice ! :wink:
Thank you sir. That means a lot to me coming from you.

I just plan to clean and grease and adjust and then ride...... It is even better in person than the pictures do it justice. I don't think I will pass another one unless I make it to Windber....

And I hope I can do it the justice it deserves. I will try.

Doug

Your tires are oversize in height. (no rubbing issues on rear fender mounting bolts?) The standard/OEM size is 21 X 12 X 8
Michael
lol..... I thought 22 was correct and I haven't even looked to see what size they actually are. Now I am going to have to hobble out to the shop and look........ They probably are 21's.

Sorry for the miss information to who ever asked...

I'll be back....

Doug

Ok, so I hobbled out to the shop and looked at the tires. And brought back some goodies...

Current tires are Carlisle 21 x 12 x 8's. Did I mention that I "hate" a Carlisle tire.......

Here are some photos of the gas tank "kit".

Package slip

The original bag the parts were in.

The kit parts. Missing one washer...

The horn box.

The horn. The connections surprised me. A slide in connection instead of a stud with a nut.

The Button, wire and mounting bolt.

The packing slip.

I love original stuff....

I had to dig it out.

Do you reckon Maxine was the only inspector? I mean 2 different packages and both signed off on by Maxine McAndrew's. I wonder where Maxine is today???

Doug

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Hey Doug -- that auxilary tank is supposed to be used in addition to the other tank. There's a shut off adapter in the bag of fuel tank parts so you can use both tanks without worry about all the gas running to the lower tank, then out onto the ground.

I think there were more of those little slips in that box of stuff. I doubt Maxine is around these days :(