Super Stuck Wheelage Bro!

20200909_134306.jpg So I couldn't get the wheels off the axle. I tried with the old tires, cut those dirty birds off and tried again. Nope. I heated them with mapp gas, tried a puller, a rammer and a hammer. Still a BIG NOPE! I'm thinking about cutting the wheels off and getting new ones. That or the whole axle. I'd just get the new tires on there but I don't roll like that, I maintain my toys and if a sprocket breaks, I want disc brakes, bearings need replaced.... the wheels gotta come off! Its a rust thing, the ring retainers in the back are to keep the wheel from moving in not out so i know this isn't mechanical. Any suggestions y'all?

View attachment 268718 So I couldn't get the wheels off the axle. I tried with the old tires, cut those dirty birds off and tried again. Nope. I heated them with mapp gas, tried a puller, a rammer and a hammer. Still a BIG NOPE! I'm thinking about cutting the wheels off and getting new ones. That or the whole axle. I'd just get the new tires on there but I don't roll like that, I maintain my toys and if a sprocket breaks, I want disc brakes, bearings need replaced.... the wheels gotta come off! Its a rust thing, the ring retainers in the back are to keep the wheel from moving in not out so i know this isn't mechanical. Any suggestions y'all?
Is there a set screw on the key? Maybe on the inside hub if not the outside? Or a thin split ring? I would have to be really sure before starting the following.
I would warm it a bit. Apply Gibbs Penetrant after shaking the can for a while. Then put the puller on with some moderate pressure. Then tap the hub a bit with a brass or copper hammer. Or, if the puller is in the way, a big brass drift pin and a big brass hammer. Then leave it. Repeat the steps a couple times each day. Check the pressure every time. Leave the puller in place. Should give after several days or more.

No hub, 1 inch bore 1/4 inch keyway style wheel. The bearings are further down the axle with those style retainers. I've never seen such a rusty problem before.

View attachment 268718 So I couldn't get the wheels off the axle. I tried with the old tires, cut those dirty birds off and tried again. Nope. I heated them with mapp gas, tried a puller, a rammer and a hammer. Still a BIG NOPE! I'm thinking about cutting the wheels off and getting new ones. That or the whole axle. I'd just get the new tires on there but I don't roll like that, I maintain my toys and if a sprocket breaks, I want disc brakes, bearings need replaced.... the wheels gotta come off! Its a rust thing, the ring retainers in the back are to keep the wheel from moving in not out so i know this isn't mechanical. Any suggestions y'all?
The round collar appears to be threaded, also there has to be some kind of keeper on the backside so the keystock stays put. That appears to be a 1" axle stepped own to the 3/4" thread so look at that collar to make sure that's not your problem.

chrisr

Can you remove the engine and tip the cart on its side so you can let some WD40 wick down the threads and let it soak overnight? Not sure if your parts store rent them in your area, but they do make a car wheel drum remover that might work.

If it's a straight shaft with a key, there has to be something on the backside to hold the key in place and keep the wheel from floating inward. Just sayin'

If you find a keeper on the backside and can undo it you could then juice the treads from the front thru the key slot and then put the axle nut back on and tighten with an impact. It may have enough room to break free going the other direction.

Harquebus

I agree with chrisr. Tilt the kart on its side and saturate the wheel hub with penetrating fluid and let gravity assist. Do it on the half hour, hourly, daily and use torch heat on the hub alone (avoid heating the axle) to help it separate from the axle. Beat on it from the reverse side with a hammer on a 2x4 piece that's wider than the wheel.

Try the candle trick, which uses a torch to heat it and then a candle is touched to the joint and the melting wax is wicked into the threads. There's YT videos on this technique. Use heat and candle wax or penetrant back and forth, plus hammer blows.

Getting these stuck wheels off takes lots and lots of time and patience. BTDT.

When you get it off, wire wheel/sandpaper the rust off until it's shiny smooth and slather the axle and keyway with anti-seize compound so you don't ever have to deal with this again.

Iv gotten a few off with a scissor jack between the wheel and frame put some good force on it. heat up the hub and a big brass rod use for a punch to smack the axle through. Also an air chizel works great with a hammer end but it better be moving you dont want to mushroom the end of the axle then you are pretty much screwed. You can also drill a few holes in the wheel and use a puller if you have the right style like a bar one with the two bolt slots like a steering wheel puller

Harquebus

Hahaha, that's one way of fixing it. Buy a whole new axle and new hardware. :D

Do like I said and grease things up. Put anti-seize on the axle nuts too.

Get the wheel and axle as hot as you can with your torch and douse the wheel with a bucket of cold water. The wheel will cool and shrink against the hot expanded axle and break up the rust particles.