Supercharged 5hp Briggs Setup!

I would think when you start to making some real boost in one of these little guys you would maybe need to machine a fire ring.
The VG 460 might be a good candidate for this.
By "fire ring", do you mean a literal fire ring like on a shoveled or panhead, or machining for an O-ring?

65ShelbyClone

The stock gaskets and bolts would probably be fine for some serious power levels. I'd rather push out a gasket than run over a crankshaft.

Yeah, just a little over! But... I wonder how far you could get by underdriving the SC in a situation like that? There has to be a limit I'm sure.
I had the blower ratios figured for that engine a while ago. The 500 would have to be underdriven about 4.0:1 to make 10psi. Rotor leakage would be a bigger factor at such low speeds, but probably still work. My GX340 would only need a 1.75:1 underdrive by comparison.

delray

The stock gaskets and bolts would probably be fine for some serious power levels. I'd rather push out a gasket than run over a crankshaft.
really, you can run over the crank. even with a billet crank? kind of had to believe. especially with big block GX honda. that's a lot to snap off.

I had the blower ratios figured for that engine a while ago. The 500 would have to be underdriven about 4.0:1 to make 10psi. Rotor leakage would be a bigger factor at such low speeds, but probably still work. My GX340 would only need a 1.75:1 underdrive by comparison.
Great info, thanks!

What's with all the bench racing here? If you have built something, post it up in your own thread, otherwise, how about giving this young man his just due for a cool project?

I look forward to hearing an update @fallendiesels once you put a load to it!

delray

Nice!
I’ve not done a lot with small engines, mainly Harley stuff... so when I hear “fire ring” this is what comes to mind:

View attachment 237858
yes, I have seen off set cylinder sleeves has a fire ring on small engines before.
information I posted on fire-rings also applies to fallendiesels project if you start to experience head gasket problems.
goodluck on your project. it will be interesting to see the final outcome...….

65ShelbyClone

really, you can run over the crank. even with a billet crank? kind of had to believe. especially with big block GX honda. that's a lot to snap off.
It was a figure of speech meaning I'd rather pop a $5 gasket than break expensive hardware, although it has been known to actually happen.

A local buddy is doing a Hansened Raptor right now. Plenum volume is really needed on a single or the fluctuations sap all the boost. Always pumping, drawing 1/4 of the time, ish.

I did a bottom end for Aussies that run 100cc and an AMR300 at over 120mph in a bike, air cooled 2v hemi chamber.

A wide band and EGT, with a nice Tilly seems the best for making it live while exploring the limits.
Dipper oiling, ugh. Generac may be a better SB base?

GL on it, regardless.