Suzuki jr50 age

Hi, while driving home from the orthodontist today, I saw a suzuki jr50 on a street curb that said free. So I stopped to pick it up and asked the lady who was at the house playing with her two kids if it was free, she said yes but it needs a new piston so I took it.
Anyway, I've stripped the thing down to bare components, inspected the piston and shoot that thing is bad off.
My question is, how old is it? The only numbers I found on the frame read,
JR50-113362
Thanks, and could someone tell me where a good place to find parts for this bike would be?
Mitch

cxbra

I think the only way you will get parts for that is to buy another jr50 to get parts from. Any other way and you will be spending hundreds of $$'s on that thing, which I know you do not want to do. You could also chop it up and bastardize it! A guy around me is selling a LEM 50cc rolling chassis for an okay price (kinda pricey, I would rather get another minibike roller). If I had any welding skill, a 165cc clone should fit in there nicely, but then I would still have to figure out mounting, possibly switch chain-ring etc.. A bunch of stuff that im NOT going to do haha.

I've been thinking of sticking a 165cc clone in it.... I am a machinist, so if any special brackets or fixturing needs to be made, I can do all of that.
Not sure how much cash I want to put into it, Im mainly looking for a summer project and this would be perfect
I might go to a suzuki dealer sometime later today to see if they can help me find out the age of this thing.

cxbra

I've been thinking of sticking a 165cc clone in it.... I am a machinist, so if any special brackets or fixturing needs to be made, I can do all of that.
Not sure how much cash I want to put into it, Im mainly looking for a summer project and this would be perfect
I might go to a suzuki dealer sometime later today to see if they can help me find out the age of this thing.
You said the correct word, machinist :thumbsup:. Im sure it wont be too hard. I would really love to see that build man, do it do it!

I will have to :)
Maybe I'll stop in to the motorcycle scrap yard here in town a little bit later and see if they can help me find some parts

Thanks for the link Phil. I am thinking of taking .020" off the the head to up the comp ratio. Will this work?
I went to a suzuki dealer and a motorcycle scrap yard and neither of them were able to tell me the year. The suzuki dealer said it has to be an early one because it's vin has six digits not ten. They were able to help me locate some parts. So maybe I'll go back to them when I have the cash for the parts and I'll order them

Started to give the swing arm a good cleaning, might do some more in a bit.
From a mechanical minded point of view, there is no utter reason for this bike to be thrown away, and I'm glad I got it even though she does not run. This is turning out to be a fun project so far :laugh:

Reprinted some parts today, I'm giving a different paint job. Not sure what colors. Maybe black(frame) silver, and orange
What larger engines would be an option for me? I'm looking at a maybe a 125 or 150