Syncing 2 Engines together on go kart

Just curious, what’s the best way to go about syncing 2 engines together to run on a live axle go kart?

Do both engines really to be synced very close or is it pretty forgiving?

I’m thinking of using 2 5hp Briggs flatheads if that matters.

Forgiving enough anyway. You're never going to see so much power that it's an issue, except high speed turns where they'd act like a dead axle anyway. Not an issue. You'll have a lot of grunt with two flatheads.

The old Fox karts used a transverse shaft controlled by the throttle rod and two bell cranks rigged with cables to each engine. The Macs had the same set up with cable running from a common bell crank in the rear. Some used a twin cable affair with two cables going to a central block that clamped the two cables "out" on the side of the kart, with the rod on the input side. Rupp perhaps. You can fab all of the parts for any of these options of course.

Forgiving enough anyway. You're never going to see so much power that it's an issue, except high speed turns where they'd act like a dead axle anyway. Not an issue. You'll have a lot of grunt with two flatheads.

The old Fox karts used a transverse shaft controlled by the throttle rod and two bell cranks rigged with cables to each engine. The Macs had the same set up with cable running from a common bell crank in the rear. Some used a twin cable affair with two cables going to a central block that clamped the two cables "out" on the side of the kart, with the rod on the input side. Rupp perhaps. You can fab all of the parts for any of these options of course.
Thanks again for the help Dave. I’ll have to dig up some pictures of those old karts.

Here are two examples of cable attachment to throttle rod attachment. The spring and stoppers need to be rigged to prevent the driver from ripping the throttle arm off of the carburetor. The stop spring is required now for vintage kart races. I am showing a Rupp and a Bug here for those. The Fox had a throttle arm that ran the length of the rear of the kart and operated much like your current scrub brakes do. Third photo.

Attachments