Taco 33 or Taquito/

Hey everyone! I'm the new guy around here, my name is Brad. Just thought I'd pose a question to those of you with way more knowledge than myself on the subject; is my Taco a "33" or a "taquito"? The serial number gives no indication of the model year. Serial number is "E382". It's plain as day and in clear view. From what I understand it should be "5E382" or "6E382" to determine which year, correct? Is there a way to tell them apart?

Here's what I do know about it: My dad was gifted this mini bike by the original owners who found out he was having a baby boy (me) and told he could use it more than they could. Those neighbors have since moved away and this happened in 1982 anyhow. The frame has brackets welded to the swing arm for the sliding/adjustable bearing holders for the jackshaft. The rear shocks and angled slightly forward about 10 degrees, with the top mount locations being farther forward than those on the swing arm. The rear axle mounting is simply a hole and is NOT slotted.

As far as I know, these were the only differences between the 33 and taquito. Like I said at the beginning, however, I am rather new to the history of these old bikes and would love to see and hear as much about them as possible. It was a rather pleasant surprise to realize I had something so special and built so many amazing childhood memories with it. Once I discovered what it was and how old it was, I decided to go ahead and take it back to original. I'm currently in the process of building an exact copy of it, bend for bend, radius for radius, angle for angle, so that my two year old daughter will have one to ride when shes old enough. I will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully get back to any questions you guys have for me asap. Thank you in advance for your input.

-Brad-

Something doesn't seem right. Seems like there is no way for your rear suspension to work with the front stem welded in place so it cannot pivot. Also from memory it seems like Steens used the engine as a frame with pivot points on the engine head and there was no upright frame structure. Someone will post a pic for sure.

I only see E382 for your vin in your photo. There should be another number before the E to determine the year of the bike. It should be a 5 or 6. That will be the only way to determine if your bike is a Taco Tacquito or 33.

It looks as if someone welded on a down tube in the front off the neck and made their own pivot. The original bikes pivoted off a mount on top of the engine. Here are a couple pictures of how it should look.

66TACO-33.gif

Attachments

Last edited:
Something doesn't seem right. Seems like there is no way for your rear suspension to work with the front stem welded in place so it cannot pivot. Also from memory it seems like Steens used the engine as a frame with pivot points on the engine head and there was no upright frame structure. Someone will post a pic for sure.
The frame had the "struts" in the front added before I got it. They are not original. The welds are still on the underside of the upper frame from where the brackets were that bolted it to the head. Plan is to get rid of the struts and go back to original.

The "E382" is my biggest concern. I know it has had work done to it. When I was a kid it had a motorcycle gas tank welded to it that was rotted out. Dad cut it off for me because I was too young to work power tools. I know it has stuff incorrect, and the plan is to change it and restore it. Without the 5 or 6 number in the serial number, I don't know how else to determine the year and model. I was mostly curious to see if there were other telltales specific to each model other than just a rename of the model by Steens.

MY guess is it got ground off before it was welded. Research acid-etching, you might be able to raise a faint outline for ID purposes. I have never done it but I an old friend of mine got his stolen Bultaco back because the father of the kid who stole it was able to get a partial engine number and track it back to my buddy.

I only see E382 for your vin in your photo. There should be another number before the E to determine the year of the bike. It should be a 5 or 6. That will be the only way to determine if your bike is a Taco Tacquito or 33.

It looks as if someone welded on a down tube in the front off the neck and made their own pivot. The original bikes pivoted off a mount on top of the engine. Here are a couple pictures of how it should look.

View attachment 104543
That's exactly what they did Tom, it's missing that pivot point. This is one of my bucket list bikes but my money bucket isn't full enough to justify the price one would cost me.