Taco mini bike project

Here is a mini bike I believe to be a taco 44. Ive owned this for many years and it was hacked up many years before I got it lol. When I recieved the mini bike someone had converted it into a small dirt bike basically. It had a c100e honda semi automatic motor, dirt bike pegs welded on, dirt bike 8" wheels with offroad tires, and a modified swingarm which is obviously is not original. I also believe the rear of the frame was slightly widened to fit the swing arm. With that being said Im not trying to build a correct taco 44 but I would like to convert to back to a standard mini bike and get it back looking semi stock with some tasteful modifications. any ideas?

Attachments

sonerenos

Here is a mini bike I believe to be a taco 44. Ive owned this for many years and it was hacked up many years before I got it lol. When I recieved the mini bike someone had converted it into a small dirt bike basically. It had a c100e honda semi automatic motor, dirt bike pegs welded on, dirt bike 8" wheels with offroad tires, and a modified swingarm which is obviously is not original. I also believe the rear of the frame was slightly widened to fit the swing arm. With that being said Im not trying to build a correct taco 44 but I would like to convert to back to a standard mini bike and get it back looking semi stock with some tasteful modifications. any ideas?
I CAN MAIL YOU THE DRAWING OF THE SWING ARMS IF YOU THINK YOU CAN FINS SOMEONE TO CUT THEM OUT FOR YOU.
THE REST OF THE BIKE LOOKS PRETTY SOLID.
I BELIEVE I HAVE A CLUTCH COVER, SPROCKET, RIM AND SOME LITTLE ITEMS YOU MAY NEED TO PUT THIS BACK TOGETHER.
SEND ME A MESSAGE IF INTERESTED

Ok so I got the swing arms in the mail shout out to Robertt8883 for the connect on the arms, and everyone else who helped out with any info or input I appreciate it. So Im finally starting to mock it up to be a roller. I got the rear of the frame back into the factory spacing because the previous owner slightly widened it to clear the custom swing axle it had. Now Im on the front forks and have a few questions. Is there any kind of bushing that go in the forks where the axle goes through? Also what size is the front axle? a 5/8 bolt wouldn't fit. On the rear whats a good factory replacement shock? As I said in the original post Im not trying to make it all original just somewhat, those original shocks are hard to find and very expensive when you do so Im fine with replacement chrome coil shocks. Wheels are gonna be azusa tristars. This is a budget build Its just something I had sitting in my garage many years so I decided to build it finally.

Attachments

"Wheels are gonna be Azusa Tristars."
If you are talking about NEW ones, be advised these wheels are notorious for being "wobblers" (both side to side and up and down) that will be problematic for maintaining proper chain tightness/alignment (sprocket wobble) and will contribute to drum brakes not working properly. ( I speak from experience) Azusa drum brakes are actually pretty crappy as far as actually STOPPING you- they kind of just slow you down a bit! . You can perform a search function on this forum and read numerous previous discussion/threads on them. Just a head's up....
Michael

"Wheels are gonna be Azusa Tristars."
If you are talking about NEW ones, be advised these wheels are notorious for being "wobblers" (both side to side and up and down) that will be problematic for maintaining proper chain tightness/alignment (sprocket wobble) and will contribute to drum brakes not working properly. ( I speak from experience) Azusa drum brakes are actually pretty crappy as far as actually STOPPING you- they kind of just slow you down a bit! . You can perform a search function on this forum and read numerous previous discussion/threads on them. Just a head's up....
Michael
I believe you, Ive only had the og azusa wheels before. This is my first time buying the newer ones but Ive rode on plenty mini bike with the newer style and I I will say there hit and miss honestly some rode smooth some had a wobble like you said I guess I will find out when there installed lol, thanks

I believe you, Ive only had the og azusa wheels before. This is my first time buying the newer ones but Ive rode on plenty mini bike with the newer style and I I will say there hit and miss honestly some rode smooth some had a wobble like you said I guess I will find out when there installed lol, thanks
Here's something I have observed with the new Tri-Star wheels. I purchased a set without bearings figuring I would use my own. When they arrived, I went to install the bearings and they just plopped right in without force and had a lot of slop. Later, I purchased a frame kit with Tri-Star Wheels that had the bearings already installed. I noticed the bearings actually carried the AZUSA name on them and they fit tightly in place. I didn't remove the AZUSA bearings to see if the other bearings fit tightly because I no longer had the other set. I don't know if it's the difference in bearings or wheels but something wasn't right and I'd be willing to bet, the wheels people have issues with were purchased without bearings.

Here's something I have observed with the new Tri-Star wheels. I purchased a set without bearings figuring I would use my own. When they arrived, I went to install the bearings and they just plopped right in without force and had a lot of slop. Later, I purchased a frame kit with Tri-Star Wheels that had the bearings already installed. I noticed the bearings actually carried the AZUSA name on them and they fit tightly in place. I didn't remove the AZUSA bearings to see if the other bearings fit tightly because I no longer had the other set. I don't know if it's the difference in bearings or wheels but something wasn't right and I'd be willing to bet, the wheels people have issues with were purchased without bearings.
Ohh ok the wheels I just purchased actually say azusa on the bearings also. Hopefully there a good set but eventually I wiil try to find the og taco wheels. I kinda just wanted to atleast make it a complete bike instead of it just sitting around . I honestly want to build a drag style looking bike thats more of a cruiser so Im going to build a different bike eventually

See if you can find a pair of the "old school" Azusa Tri-Stars from back in the day, that do not have " Maximum air pressure 30PSI" embossed on the edge of the wheel. Their quality control was much better back then.
Michael

So I started grinding some of the things a previous owner welded on the frame including tabs welded on the jackshaft hangers. Still have work to do but I got the bearings to fit. Also have to make some axle spacers. Anyone knows what size jack shaft I need? I currently have a 10" bolt in there just to make sure things are straight

Making progress on the taco 44, just got the sprocket in today. Still have to get quite a few things but its coming along. Gonna order a raptor throttle set up for one of the briggs and a mikuni for the other, will be fun trying out different setups. Also I might be getting a nos raptor I found locally for a great deal but I will be building another mini bike to play with performance motors because this one is for nostalgia so I want to keep it vintage

Attachments