Taco Super Trail 100!!!

CarPlayLB

Thanks Steven,
The bearings in my wheel were 15mm i.d.. I made some spacers from extremely expensive stainless tube that was 15mm od and 12mm id. Did yours have the spacers? Or were your bearings correct with a 12mm i.d.? Sorry 'bout all the questions, but I got issues!

Eric, The bearings I replaced in mine are 6201RS (32mmx12mmx10mm), that's the same size as doodlebug wheel bearings. No bushing/reducer at the bearings, just reused the inner spacer between the bearings. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Eric, The bearings I replaced in mine are 6201RS (32mmx12mmx10mm), that's the same size as doodlebug wheel bearings. No bushing/reducer at the bearings, just reused the inner spacer between the bearings. :thumbsup:
bought those bearings. The outside diameter is way too small for my wheels! I wish I knew someone with a doodlecrap now! I guess I will have to use my spacers! You need new bearings?
Can you show a pic of the rear axle and specifically the spacers?

Last edited:
I got the brake pedal and rod finished, put the chain on and adjusted the rear wheel. I thought everything was gonna work and lined up right, but I'm still trying to get the jackshaft sprockets right. I give up for now, no matter what I do the chain keeps clicking and popping, we'll see!
Here's a few more pics.

20150801_185210.jpg 20150801_170734.jpg 20150801_150136.jpg

And some pics of the axle, hub & spacer.

20150806_162313.jpg 20150806_162445.jpg 20150806_162742.jpg

12mm axle, no spacer or washer on the hub side, 12mm thick spacer on the sprocket side, no washer.
Eric I put new bearings in THX though, 6202 bearings should be 35mm O.D. & 15mm I.D. but I don't think that's gonna help.
---Steven.

CarPlayLB

Thanks for the pics Steven.
I am using the 6202 bearings now. That is why I have to use the spacer/reducer. That is what was in my wheels when I got it. It looks like my wheels are different from yours too!
Is your rear sprocket flat? Mine is raised in the center around the hub.
Good luck with the chain! I hate it when it doesn't go together easy...but I guess it never does! Hope is all we have!

Is your rear sprocket flat? Mine is raised in the center around the hub.
Good luck with the chain! I hate it when it doesn't go together easy...but I guess it never does! Hope is all we have!

THX!!! The sprocket is flat against the wheel, and there is a raised lip about 2 5/16" across(probably metric) that the sprocket fits over. As you can see my sprocket is not original, previous owner cut the center out and drilled for these wheels. I'm trying to just use the sprockets I have now to get it riding and see how I like the gearing.
What wheels are you using? Do they have 4 holes or 6?

I bought some z50 fork boots off of ebay, they're not quite long enough, but I think they look okay. Front fender is from a Gemini sst50, it's a little different than the white one that came on the bike, but it's in better shape. I bought all the parts to make my own front brake cable from Venhill. I think it turned out pretty good, both ends are soldered on, with a slack adjuster in the middle, and it comes off completely in one piece.
Still cleaning up the motor. Me and my bright idea to paint the motor!!! :facepalm: More pics to come!!!

20150818_115924.jpg 20150818_120005.jpg 20150818_120149.jpg 20150818_120411.jpg 20150818_120429.jpg 20150818_120356.jpg

Got the motor cleaned up and painted, put new crank seals on both sides, I got this motor from the guy I bought this bike from. I have a 95' Briggs I/C, steel bore, single bearing block that's in great shape, but it had carb issues. I'd like to build the 95' motor up with some billet parts etc. at a later time, but this one should work fine for now.

I have a seat off another bike that looks okay for now, until I get around to making one. And a lot more work to do, but it's getting there!!!---Steven.

How about a pic looking straight down at the jackshaft? Is there any spacers? Teeth count? Do you think that's the original gearing? The chain on the rear of mine is new, but it's making a clicking/popping noise at one point when I roll it around. The 11t sprocket is new but seems to fit loose, and when I tighten up the set screws I think it twists it a little. Maybe I'll try a different kind, without the built in key?

Neck

Growing up is optional
Ok, I'll have to go count the teeth, but i'm sure there were no spacers. My gearing is all original as is the clutch.

I ordered a new 12t sprocket, without the built in key, for the jackshaft. Went ahead and put it all together just to see how it all lined up. I had to use some thin machine bushings to space the 18t sprocket inline with the clutch, but it's not quite right. I can't adjust the motor any farther to the left, and the two chains are as close as they can be without touching. It would probably work fine with the correct Tecumseh motor, I haven't been able to find one locally yet, but I'll keep looking!
I put on a seat that I made for another mini, it'll just be temporary. I have some footpeg covers coming in the mail, and a rear fender I'm gonna try out and see how it looks....I took it for a spin this morning!!! Rides great!!! Stops great!!!:biggrin:

Still working on it. I made my own seat, it didn't turn out quite like I hoped for, with the foam that I used it's kinda soft but it looks ok for now. I made my own footpegs and found some footpeg covers on ebay. I made a kickstand out of an old tire iron, and made an exhaust. More pics in Photos-member galleries, and search for ashbyota, if anyone wants too see more.:biggrin:

20160118_162745.jpg 20160118_162756.jpg 20160118_162817.jpg 20160117_145636.jpg 20160118_163658.jpg 20160118_163456.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a couple more pics un-
restored.

Notice the purple on the forks and frame down tubes.
Nice! Looks pretty complete, not to many of them still have the brake pedal and kickstand. Mine will be taco purple again someday, but I'm not in any big hurry, it already gets the royal treatment in the condition it's in! LOL!:thumbsup:

Update. I took the seat apart and cut some stiffer foam. I decided to use a Gemini SST 80 front fender on the rear, and drilled out the swingarm pivot holes to use some bronze bushings. The exhaust header I made for this one won't work with the rear fender, so I'll come up with something different.