Talk me out of this . . . Gambler 500

NorCal

So when I lived in the PNW there was this rally called Gambler 500 where people take the biggest POS vehicle and take it off road. It was a combination of comedy and humility as everyone cheers everyone on, no matter how bad their vehicle is. (The worse the vehicle, the more pumped people become) I think the originator off roaded a 1977 Cadillac Seville or something crazy like that.

Fast forward to today, and I just learned there is a Florida chapter of the Gambler 500 includes a group of "Gamblers" that take mini bikes off road on an over night trek through forest roads. I have to admit it looks fun, and I routinely take my DB30 off-road messing around with the neighbor kids on their dirt bikes.

At this point it just looks like too much fun.

joshua. c.

It was more or less a joke on what you said you did ask to be talked out of it. but it has serious meaning behind it.
everyone becomes at risk when one person takes a risk, its not just about you. pandemics are a chain from first infection to last. remember it all started with one patient. don't become a link in this chain. do the world a favor and don't take an un necessary risk until the vaccine becomes available to the general public. its not that far off possibly spring or summer. just to note I've lost a family member to this pandemic not one I new well but still family and I know people who have lost close family and friends. not all of them old or un healthy.

desert rat

Talk you out of this? ok 1 word pandemic. wait till its over.
This won't be over in your life time. Many Many more will die. Anti vac , no maskers,can't happen to me........ We beat polio( have you seen somebody live with polio?) we beat many things that this gen don't get, mumps? when have you heard of that outbreak? Small pocks? You can find us/my gen by the spot on our arm my gen stopped a lot of bad stuff. If I get this I'm dead, that's that. You can still live life just don't be stupid. Clean yourself and your space, Give others their space. That don't mean stop life, all this free stuff that is being given out has to be paid for one day. I would go you just would see me at the camp fire.

So when I lived in the PNW there was this rally called Gambler 500 where people take the biggest POS vehicle and take it off road. It was a combination of comedy and humility as everyone cheers everyone on, no matter how bad their vehicle is. (The worse the vehicle, the more pumped people become) I think the originator off roaded a 1977 Cadillac Seville or something crazy like that.

Fast forward to today, and I just learned there is a Florida chapter of the Gambler 500 includes a group of "Gamblers" that take mini bikes off road on an over night trek through forest roads. I have to admit it looks fun, and I routinely take my DB30 off-road messing around with the neighbor kids on their dirt bikes.

At this point it just looks like too much fun.

The Ultimate Off Road Bonanza Build Returns | OldMiniBikes.com

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
THERE IS A SMALLER VERSION IN UPSTATE NY. A 1.5 MILE LOOP THROUGH WOODS WITH TRAILS-DRY, WET AND YOU PUSH YOUR SELF AND MACHINE TO DO 100 LAPS. WE HAVE HAD A COUPLE MEMBERS HERE ATTEND. THAT GAMBLER 500 LOOKS LIKE A GREAT TIME, JUST REMEMBER TO PACK SPARE PARTS LIKE TAV BELTS, CHAIN LINKS, TIRE TUBES/REPAIR KITS, ETC... AS FAR AS THE PANDEMIC, JUST USE YOUR HEAD AND LIVE YOUR LIFE, HIDING AWAY IN A CORNER AFRAID TO DO ANYTHING IS NOT LIVING, THATS JUST EXSITING. (MY VIEW ANYHOW)...

NorCal

I'm not here for a soapbox Covid-19 lecture. I understand there are strong opinions on both sides of this topic. But this is a mini bike forum, lets keep it that way.

Moving on, has anyone done the Gambler before or something simular? Was it as fun as it looks? Any lessions learned when preparing for this race?

Last edited:
Ummm...many people lived after having polio....

Last mumps outbreak in the US was June 2020. Clearly far less than pre-vaccinations time but there are still periodic outbreaks.

And it sounds like you could enjoy such an event by using reasonable, and recommended, precautions.

joshua. c.

sorry guess I derailed the thread. back on the original topic there was one of these events the summer before last some ware within driving distance of me. I think it was about 3hr drive away. I didn't go but it dose sound like fun. I wonder just how saddle sore you get at after that many laps lol.

NorCal

Might be better to run it on a large chassis bike like a CT200 or something similar.
The DB30 would probably beat you to death and not get through the course as well with its small wheels/tires.
Well my Bonanza isn't road worthy yet, but I would rather beat on the DB30 than the Bonanza because its a "classic" and the DB is expendable if that makes since. Your point is noted and your probably correct though.

I want to do a few gambler races myself, even lookin into a used short bus with wheelchair lift/mini bike loader to make this easier and more comfortable. I just don't know how competitive I'll be with my bad back. Just to have some fun and finish would be enough for me honestly.