Tank's 2015 Blue Steel Bobber - scratch build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well done too many now to back out. Going for a simple design in the hope I can finish. My friend and boss passed away in November hence I've been so scarce. Have to run the whole place on my own and its a massive job, not much spare time. Still new maintenance guy starts end of Jan and that will lighten the load.
Best of luck to you all and all the best for 2015

I managed to pick up a motor for free. Had a hole in the side, but even as spare parts had to be worth something. Stripped it down only to find the con rod snapped and chipped the casing. So will buy a new rod and weld the hole closed and see if i can get it running. The piston and rings look good so fingers crossed

Some pics for the fans:laugh:

Please could one of you engine techies tell me if I'm wasting my time with this engine or can it be brought back to life. Not sure about plugging the hole :doah:

Tank;We have never talked;I'm an engine builder from Ct.If you want to play with that block you can weld it with 4043 alum.rod or you can do as we use to do take some window screen and JB weld and sandwich it over the hole,clean the area thoroughly,bead,or abrasive blast if poss;then clean with non-residue solvent,MEK,Brakekleen.....etc.The hole is not in structural load position,so I would JB it and run it;Just clean up those little divets on the piston skirts and it rRun the Hell out of it! Best to you.Dave:thumbsup: (Tis But A Small Scratch) LOL

Picked up a con rod today and a gasket kit. Small end is spot on. But the crank seems to have picked up some ali for the old rod. Going to strip it out and give it a polish.
Was going to ask which way the con rod goes with the pick up spike until i put it in the casing and realised theres only one way :doah:

Last edited:
But the crank seems to have picked up some ali for the old rod. Going to strip it out and give it a polish.
You probably already realize this, but soaking the crank in muratic or oxalic acid with eat the aluminum pretty quick and leave the steel alone. NOS did the exact thing in another thread. I thought it was pretty slick. Have to scrub, then dry and oil the crank after. Muratic is what they're using to clean the excess mortar off of brick or block buildings after construction. (3:1 with H20)

Awsome tip Dave.
I know it seems petty to post the small things, but i work alone with no garge buddy. You guys are my only share and tonight I'm stoked.
Cleaned the crank shaft assembled the engine, cam followers, cam, lifters and all. I know some small engine guys are laughing but this is my first try at a real engine fix.
So with two books golfing the side cover, lots of oil squirted on everything and a splash of petrol in the intake i began pulling. And hey presto she fired and ran for two seconds.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: im over the moon. Will do a strip down tighten up and new gaskets.

Now i can get cracking on the frame and start the build.

Thanks for all the help lads

Damn you gotta be fast with the edit. Only 5 minutes. The predictive text on my phone put two books golfing and not two bolts holding:laugh:.

Just missed the edit time:laugh:

Been struggling to load pics from my phone. But this past Friday got a gap to bend the lower frame. Would have like to do more only i had to move my vice so i could do some of the bends.

Getting there.

Aint that life, planned a day in the shop and a mate of mine from sea rescue called. The bronze acme thread bush on his lathe went so we wound up turning a new one for him :laugh:

Still managed to squeeze an hour or two for me. Ran in the motor for a bit. Made the rear wheel plates. Did the rear hub and the back end of the frame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.