Tap and Dye set

capguncowboy

I am looking to get a tap and dye set so I can fix the threads on my crank shaft. They're buggered up on the flywheel bolt threads. What size dye do I need, and can you recommend a good brand? I'm new to the rebuilding engines game but wanted to get some good tools so I could do it and do it right.

Any help is appreciated.

Not sure about die size needed but my MSC Catalog sells sets from Irwin, Hanson and Interstate. All respectable brands.
But for the amount you would likely use them and the fact your using it as a thread chaser Harbor Freight will likely have all you need.

If your cutting new threads you can do better than HF.

When cutting or chasing keep taps and dies well lubed and keep the taps and dies clean.

capguncowboy

Not sure about die size needed but my MSC Catalog sells sets from Irwin, Hanson and Interstate. All respectable brands.
But for the amount you would likely use them and the fact your using it as a thread chaser Harbor Freight will likely have all you need.

If your cutting new threads you can do better than HF.

When cutting or chasing keep taps and dies well lubed and keep the taps and dies clean.
I think that's what I needed to know. I wasn't sure if the HF set was durable enough for what I needed or not. I don't think I'll use it very often, since I rarely fab anything -- just fix stuff

Measuring the size is fairly easy .... assuming its NOT metric use calipers, a scale or a tape measure to determine the outside diameter of the threads. Then count the threads in an inch .... its likely fine thread so it would be 5/16-24 or 3/8-24 or 7/16-20 or 1/2-20 or 9/16-18 or 5/8-18 ect.

I bought both a set of metric and a set of standard taps from Craftsman about 5 years ago and neither has failed me yet. They each have 10-15 pieces in them.

There are tools to fix threads that are better than a tap. One is a thread roller the other is a thread restorer D LOOKS like a squAre file with 4 les 8 thread pitches

I've got both a tap and dye set and a set of thread chasers...I like the starter bits in the tap and dye set tha best...costs alot more but always there when you are in a tight spot.

If all you want to do is fix your crank and have little use for an entire die set (note the spelling), I would suggest just buying the die you need. I fixed a Sachs crank a few years ago and just spent about $5 for a quality die in the size I needed. Granted, I already had access to a die holder but you can do without. Crank threads are tough high carbon steel and you want a quality die that will hold up. I bought mine at Napa but you should be able to get individual sizes elsewhere. I like HF, but not on precision items like this.

Depending on where the threads are damaged, you may need to use a thread file to get a good lead in. Last thing you want to do is get the die out of alignment and double thread it.

Thread repair tools are the best but super expensive.

Last edited:

capguncowboy

In case anyone was wondering, the dye needed is a 7/16 x 20 -- I was able to recover the threads. Thanks for all the help guys! That's another tool in my shop that I would never have dreamed I would need. I think that makes 7000 of them now :)