Tappet Valves to change cam lift

I have space between the tappet valves an my intake and exhaust valves. Can i simply get a longer tappet valve and gain more lift. Rather than getting a high lift cam?

no. these engines actually get more power from a larger gap because the valves are closed for longer allowing for more compression. iv never ran a high lift cam but I know all about the effects of widening the gap :smile:

Check and see what the tolerance is between the lifter and valve. The only way to set valve lash on these engines is to grind the lifter or valve. If one or the other are ground excessively you will need a new set of whatever is ground (Valves or Lifters). Extended lifters are for aftermarket blocks like Rhinos.

MB165

No, adding longer lifters/ tappets will not work. adding a longer tappet will cause the valve to not close.
Keep the gap .002-.010".
Widening the gap reduces lift and increases the time the valves are closed.

Didnt think about the duration of the valve staying open.
might do my own cam and add some lift.
Check and see what the tolerance is between the lifter and valve. The only way to set valve lash on these engines is to grind the lifter or valve. If one or the other are ground excessively you will need a new set of whatever is ground (Valves or Lifters). Extended lifters are for aftermarket blocks like Rhinos.