TAV2 Install

Hey guys, I have a question for those who have installed a tav2. How are you guys tightening the drive chain as it looks like the tensioner bracket gets removed as part of the insulation? Also would like to know if you guys end up raising the engine a little, if so how much. I installed a tav2 on a mini the other day and was able to just cut part of the mounting plate off to get clearance but am not sure what most of you are doing to get one on a db30. Thanks
David

I had done some reading before I did any modding. I ended up cutting the engine plate, the rear fender, and front - rear fender support, all of which AFTERWARD someone posted that they DIDN'T have to do all that. I looked at it all again and ended up raising the engine, shortening the chain, and making my own slack adjuster afterward. For the most part the sliding forward or back of the engine takes the slop out of the chain, the slack adjuster keeps it there.

I cut off the chain adjuster, raised the engine, and cut off a portion of the TAV-2 backing plate to clear the motor base plate. Then its just a matter of shortening the chain and doing a real careful job of marking the holes so that the chain ends up as tight as you want it and both sprockets in alignment. You could also slot the holes in the base plate so you can move the motor to adjust the chain tension, but you wont have much adjustment.

tomsprops

I had raised the engine plate,removed the tensioner(I don't know if that's required) I also added excstended the foot pegs to clear the Tav. I also had to trim the rear of the Tav to fit on the motor.It's a chain reaction once you start but well worth it !

I have a minibaja and I just had to raise the motor a 1/2(half) inch and got extended footpegs,I was able to use the same chain.:thumbsup:

i agree with Caddy Kid slot the holes to get the tension, drill two holes and hack the metal between them, and set the chain length as far back as possible.

also

yeah i had to raise the engine a little and tilt it forward but its been so long i forgot how much and for the tensioning if you slot the holes you may need another set of hands to hold the tension on the engine while you tighten the engine mounting bolts