TC won’t shift into full overdrive

I have a Baja Clone Massimo MB200 that did 31mph with bone stock after a zip tie. I swapped on a 212R Tillotson (should be 9-11hp at least vs stock 7HP engine) and a torque converter at the same time. The bike refuses to go over 40-41mph. with the 212R
And 30 Series.

I added a juggernaut driver still won’t go over 41mph. I’m 250lbs the bike has 19” tires and probably weighs 130lbs or so. Changing from 10T and 50T to 9T and 50T didn’t make any difference on top end.

I am at my wits end almost about to straight chain this thing and ditch the whole torque converter. for whatever reason the front driver refuses to put the belt at the highest position and the rear driver won’t go past the mid position it won’t go all the way down to full overdrive when I’m on it. On a jackstand it will do it all day long no problem. I have tried the red green and yellow, Comet springs with no tangible difference on the top end, I tried genuine comet belt, China belts, no luck. I did see someone suggested that I have my rear tire professionally aligned that if it’s off in any way that could be causing me 10 mph but I have a hard time believing it. I can’t for the life of me figure out why this bike will not do at least 47-50 mile an hour.

Am I missing something super obvious? Sorry for the newbie question I am just super frustrated trying to figure this torque converter out after throwing tons of money and tuning and reading I cannot get it to do what It should do. I see some posts where people are getting 50 to 55 mph on a stock bike with a stage one bolt on and a torque converter and I’m like how the hell is this possible. THANKS!!!

Triley41395

I have a Baja Clone Massimo MB200 that did 31mph with bone stock after a zip tie. I swapped on a 212R Tillotson (should be 9-11hp at least vs stock 7HP engine) and a torque converter at the same time. The bike refuses to go over 40-41mph. with the 212R
And 30 Series.

I added a juggernaut driver still won’t go over 41mph. I’m 250lbs the bike has 19” tires and probably weighs 130lbs or so. Changing from 10T and 50T to 9T and 50T didn’t make any difference on top end.

I am at my wits end almost about to straight chain this thing and ditch the whole torque converter. for whatever reason the front driver refuses to put the belt at the highest position and the rear driver won’t go past the mid position it won’t go all the way down to full overdrive when I’m on it. On a jackstand it will do it all day long no problem. I have tried the red green and yellow, Comet springs with no tangible difference on the top end, I tried genuine comet belt, China belts, no luck. I did see someone suggested that I have my rear tire professionally aligned that if it’s off in any way that could be causing me 10 mph but I have a hard time believing it. I can’t for the life of me figure out why this bike will not do at least 47-50 mile an hour.

Am I missing something super obvious? Sorry for the newbie question I am just super frustrated trying to figure this torque converter out after throwing tons of money and tuning and reading I cannot get it to do what It should do. I see some posts where people are getting 50 to 55 mph on a stock bike with a stage one bolt on and a torque converter and I’m like how the hell is this possible. THANKS!!!
Can't help with the TC question but I can tell you there are a lot of bullshiters online that think they do 55 but really don't have a clue. My sons DB30 will do flat out 39mph with 212, no gov. stage 1 and I'm 153 lbs.

toomanytoys

40 to 50 10-50 tav30 on a 212r on my coleman ct200u is its max. Depends on the grade slight down hill it's obviously faster.

That's using a phone gps. Be nice to have a completely flat road to test it out on.

I'm 180. I'll say this though my buddy who is close to 250 gets on it and barely hits 35 to 40.

Saying that I wouldn't expect much more out of your bike. Unless you really start modifying the crap out of it. I don't think the juggernaut is helping you out much if any. I don't believe those shine until you are about 5500ish rpm. At 40mph you are only hitting under 4k rpm.

Not sure what you are doing with your bike but I might hit 40s once a ride on an open stretch of back road. Normal riding its much more fun to be geared 10-60 and accelerate harder and have more pulling power.

Can't help with the TC question but I can tell you there are a lot of bullshiters online that think they do 55 but really don't have a clue. My sons DB30 will do flat out 39mph with 212, no gov. stage 1 and I'm 153 lbs.
13" tire 5k rpm 39mph. I'd say you are getting everything you can from it.

Last edited:
Not sure what springs are available for the juggernaut but the Comet style driver can be tuned with different springs.
Also you should have a tach so you can see how fast the engine is spinning.

Not sure what springs are available for the juggernaut but the Comet style driver can be tuned with different springs.
Also you should have a tach so you can see how fast the engine is spinning.
I do have a tach on it. With the stock 30 series China driver and a 10T I was turning maybe 3300 RPM max and it felt likeit was nosing over or hitting an imaginary brick wall.

with the juggernaut and a nine tooth im turning 4600-5000rpm at about 40-41mph. I have an eight tooth which would probably take me right up to the governor 5800 but I have a feeling I wouldn’t pick up anymore top end only more acceleration versus top speed.

40 to 50 10-50 tav30 on a 212r on my coleman ct200u is its max. Depends on the grade slight down hill it's obviously faster.

That's using a phone gps. Be nice to have a completely flat road to test it out on.

I'm 180. I'll say this though my buddy who is close to 250 gets on it and barely hits 35 to 40.

Saying that I wouldn't expect much more out of your bike. Unless you really start modifying the crap out of it. I don't think the juggernaut is helping you out much if any. I don't believe those shine until you are about 5500ish rpm. At 40mph you are only hitting under 4k rpm.

Not sure what you are doing with your bike but I might hit 40s once a ride on an open stretch of back road. Normal riding its much more fun to be geared 10-60 and accelerate harder and have more pulling power.

13" tire 5k rpm 39mph. I'd say you are getting everything you can from it.
Yeah my sneaking suspicion is it a combination of my weight with the Bikes weight. That is making a difference of why I can’t get a 50 mph Or better than I’m shooting for

I have a MB 200 trailmaster bike. Governor removed, 265 lift cam, 26 lb. valve springs, predator head with 27&25 mm valves, makuni 22 mms carburetor champion rockers and 10 - 60 sprockets. I weigh 220 pounds and running along side a car for indication 43 mph is it. And I am actually very happy with that. These are lawn mower motors. I think you're expecting a little too much, as well as reading too many B.S. stories about how fast other people are supposedly going. Just my 2 cents worth.

SAS289

I have a MB 200 trailmaster bike. Governor removed, 265 lift cam, 26 lb. valve springs, predator head with 27&25 mm valves, makuni 22 mms carburetor champion rockers and 10 - 60 sprockets. I weigh 220 pounds and running along side a car for indication 43 mph is it. And I am actually very happy with that. These are lawn mower motors. I think you're expecting a little too much, as well as reading too many B.S. stories about how fast other people are supposedly going. Just my 2 cents worth.
Stock driver or Juggernaut? If you are using the stock driver the engine is topping out against the load prior to ever reaching max power. The cam and carb never get a chance to do their thing when it's topping out in the low 4K RPM range. Maximum power with that cam should be somewhere north of 5K RPM. And who knows, 4800 RPM may be the start of the "power band" with that cam?

In other words, better to fight the load with 13 HP at 5500 RPM than with 8 HP at 4200 RPM.

Juggernaut is different. You would want the stock sprocket back on to start with if you are interested in top speed.

Take a magic marker and draw a line on the drive and driven clutch sheeve ....take it for a ride...that will tell you exactly what is going on....free wheeling it on a stand says nothing.

*UPDATE* I only added a full 1” header and a EC blueprinted WC22 round slide carb and I jumped from a wall I could not get past of 42-43mph to a new high of 52-53mph easy.

I’m turning the same rpm’s 5100-5200 at top speed. Same gearing 9T front 50T rear. Comet yellow spring in most torque setting all along.

I think the issue was the stock header was restricting the engine like trying to run a 20 mile marathon with 3 N95 masks on.

Currently trying out a few different front sprockets to see what is going to be best for me an d my goals. I have an 8 9 and 10. Probably will grab an 11 just for the hell of it to see if I can hit 60 just for fun on perfect roads.