TEC H50 adj carb with weather change?

copyman

Do the carbs need to be re-adjusted with weather changes? I had been riding the Hilltopper for about 10-15 mins each day and was running great. Yesterday was first cold day I went to ride it and every time I gave it gas it bogged down, sputtered, and even a slight backfire! Adjusted the carb today (just a little warmer outside) and was better but still not like it was. Of course I let engine warm up for 5 mins before trying to ride.

I did want to add it starts on 1st or 2nd pull and idles fine

Thanks

Last edited:

desert rat

Do the carbs need to be re-adjusted with weather changes? I had been riding the Hilltopper for about 10-15 mins each day and was running great. Yesterday was first cold day I went to ride it and every time I gave it gas it bogged down, sputtered, and even a slight backfire! Adjusted the carb today (just a little warmer outside) and was better but still not like it was. Of course I let engine warm up for 5 mins before trying to ride.

Thanks
Where in California are you that its cold? LMAO. When did you get the fuel you used to adjust the carb and is it the same fuel you have in now. Here in California we have a summer blend and a winter blend of fuel. I am not sure when it changes anymore it's been a while. Will this have an effect on your small motor I'm not sure. What was your temp swing? 20 deg., 40 deg.. At this house we can go from 20 deg.f in the morning to 90 deg.f at 2:00 in the afternoon on the same day. The LA. house might swing 20 deg. all day unless the ocean effect blows in. That all effects the carb setting but I do not have to reset my carb. The other factor could be humidity. Now this could effect timing. When it was running "good" what was the humidity {good question nobody watches that} ? We are up 20 points in some places in southern Calf. in the last two days[I do watch}. Humidity / water is the poor man's octane. The higher the moisture content the slower the fuel burn, the drier the faster the burn. if you have not gotten too far with the carb adjustment and it is better leave the alone for now. If it burped out the carb your timing is early if it farted out of the other end your late on your timing. This is what I would start playing with now. Mark where you are now then move your mag until it blows out the other end mark it and find center of the two. I know I'm going to get beat up but what ever this is just how this old redneck does it.

copyman

Where in California are you that its cold? LMAO. When did you get the fuel you used to adjust the carb and is it the same fuel you have in now. Here in California we have a summer blend and a winter blend of fuel. I am not sure when it changes anymore it's been a while. Will this have an effect on your small motor I'm not sure. What was your temp swing? 20 deg., 40 deg.. At this house we can go from 20 deg.f in the morning to 90 deg.f at 2:00 in the afternoon on the same day. The LA. house might swing 20 deg. all day unless the ocean effect blows in. That all effects the carb setting but I do not have to reset my carb. The other factor could be humidity. Now this could effect timing. When it was running "good" what was the humidity {good question nobody watches that} ? We are up 20 points in some places in southern Calf. in the last two days[I do watch}. Humidity / water is the poor man's octane. The higher the moisture content the slower the fuel burn, the drier the faster the burn. if you have not gotten too far with the carb adjustment and it is better leave the alone for now. If it burped out the carb your timing is early if it farted out of the other end your late on your timing. This is what I would start playing with now. Mark where you are now then move your mag until it blows out the other end mark it and find center of the two. I know I'm going to get beat up but what ever this is just how this old redneck does it.
Hi, Some great info!

I've only been using same 4 cycle engineered fuel from Lowes or Farm & Garden

The temp swing was from 60 F to 30 F over night and around 35-40 degrees F when I rode the bike around 12 PM. Not sure about humidity but here in NJ humidity is a killer mostly in summer not now.

Funny you mention the mag. It was first thing that came to mind. I was going to ask if this could be a symptom of a sheared flywheel key or stator? I had stator off but marked the bolt heads. So this has not been timed correctly. Not sure if you saw in my other posts about this engine having the wrong flywheel & stator because of a broken snout. When I put engine back together the keyway looked a little worn with a line cut into it.

Going to be pulling this engine off bike to test another original H50 Hilltopper engine with correct flywheel, electrical, etc. Will check it out before pulling engine off bike. If this other engine runs good I'm leaving it on bike.

Thanks again for the info

PS will be posting some pics soon of bike and before / after engine restore.

Last edited:

desert rat

Hi, Some great info!

I've only been using same 4 cycle engineered fuel from Lowes or Farm & Garden

The temp swing was from 60 F to 30 F over night and around 35-40 degrees F when I rode the bike around 12 PM. Not sure about humidity but here in NJ humidity is a killer mostly in summer not now.

Funny you mention the mag. It was first thing that came to mind. I was going to ask if this could be a symptom of a sheared flywheel key or stator? I had stator off but marked the bolt heads. So this has not been timed correctly. Not sure if you saw in my other posts about this engine having the wrong flywheel & stator because of a broken snout. When I put engine back together the keyway looked a little worn with a line cut into it.

Going to be pulling this engine off bike to test another original H50 Hilltopper engine with correct flywheel, electrical, etc. Will check it out before pulling from engine.

Thanks again for the info

PS will be posting some pics soon of bike and engine restore.

I don't know why I thought you were in California. the rest of the info. remains the same.

copyman

I don't know why I thought you were in California. the rest of the info. remains the same.
I figured that. Thought there were some cold places in CA? Maybe if I lived in the moutains out there, ha-ha. I wish. Well not CA but wish to move out west. Get away from NJ. To crowded. Getting bad here southern nj becoming like north jersey. Buying up farms and building housing developments. Used to be nice but not for long. Maybe 10 yrs.