TEC H50 slight oil leak

copyman

At first I thought the oil drain plug wasn't tight but then saw it was seeping from bottom of engine. It is the slowest leak I've ever seen, can ride bike 30 mins and just a very small amount. The attached pics are after a 10 min ride.

I suspect a hairline crack on bottom of engine under mount plate.

Any ideas and can a slight leak like that be repaired externally with epoxy, etc if it is a crack?

Thanks again for answering all the questions I've asked on this forum. As I posted in the past I'm new to mini bikes and everyone here that has helped me I really appreciate it

Attachments

mustangfrank

At first I thought the oil drain plug wasn't tight but then saw it was seeping from bottom of engine. It is the slowest leak I've ever seen, can ride bike 30 mins and just a very small amount. The attached pics are after a 10 min ride.

I suspect a hairline crack on bottom of engine under mount plate.

Any ideas and can a slight leak like that be repaired externally with epoxy, etc if it is a crack?

Thanks again for answering all the questions I've asked on this forum. As I posted in the past I'm new to mini bikes and everyone here that has helped me I really appreciate it
Didn't you buy an original replacement engine? I wouldn't rely on epoxy especially in the sump area below the oil level. If the block is worth saving/original with a good bore the proper repair would be to take it apart so it could be cleaned of all traces of oil and welded. At least any repair won't be visible since it's under the mount plate.

copyman

Didn't you buy an original replacement engine? I wouldn't rely on epoxy especially in the sump area below the oil level. If the block is worth saving/original with a good bore the proper repair would be to take it apart so it could be cleaned of all traces of oil and welded. At least any repair won't be visible since it's under the mount plate.
Yes. I have another engine. In process of cleaning rust & dirt. Was in really poor condition. (posted pics in another thread)

Bought engine for the crank, stator & flywheel which will make the bike 99.9% original. But now thinking about using the whole H50 engine if it will start. Ordered a bunch of parts to try and get it running. All orig parts except the carb. I didn't want to put out $70 for OEM until I know it will start / run.

Will update soon.

Thanks

You need to find the leak, it could just be the side cover gasket area weeping. You could remove engine drain the oil get some of the dye they use to find oil and AC leaks with a new half quart of Thin oil or ATF and use a black light to pinpoint the leak.

copyman

You need to find the leak, it could just be the side cover gasket area weeping. You could remove engine drain the oil get some of the dye they use to find oil and AC leaks with a new half quart of Thin oil or ATF and use a black light to pinpoint the leak.
Great tip!

Might work out good because I was going to remove the engine anyway to test the other engine when i get it back together. Once I have it on bench will remove mount plate and see what's going on using thin oil & dye. Would be great if just a gasket.

Thanks