Tec HSSK50 max governor speed

Fisher1983

I decided not to use a billet rod with my current HSSK50. Put it all back together with governor intact. Wondering how durable the stocker rods are? Will they hold a governed 4,000 ok or is 3,600 the limit?

Fisher1983

I already have the engine assembled. 3600 would be fine, I was just curious. Being a snow blower engine I figured it was a bit more robust. Time will tell!

From someone who tested this, a fully increased governor setting on an HS is 4600 RPM. At that speed, the rods are fine. I personally tune mine to their max. RPM (fully CW at WOT) but never worry about measuring RPM. So as long as you are on the governor, you should be as good to go as you can be, when trying to determine longevity of mechanical parts.

delray

i built a mild ohh-motor last year and had very good results polishing the stock rod beam. my memory tach tells me i am turning 4750.
run that engine with a cast iron flywheel and stiffer springs and a 50 weight high zinc oil. my opinion the newer rods out of the hs-50's and ohh-motors(same) are maybe casted better ...........:shrug:

delray

if your putting it back in a snowblower? i would keep it at 3600. on a minibike you give it a quick burst up to a max rpm and then let up on it.
but if your going to just hold it at max rpm for a 1/2 hour to a hour? that would not be good for the stock rod. might be asking for trouble if it's set above 3600 rpm's

The 2-stroke "Power-Burst" type setup may be cool. I plan to try it on mine this year. I've put an HM100 with mild mods in place of the HM80, and upped the drive pulley diameter 20%. I'll reduce governed speed to 3000. A finger-throttle will increase spring tension to boost it to the 4K range when I want to get the snow over a drift/pile, or to bury the neighbor kid, what ever. Still gotta build a loop header.

Fisher1983

Thanks for the input, guys. I got the engine running and the governor adjusted. I added the mini bike throttle assembly so I had to figure out where the spring went, and bend the tab to adjust governed idle to where I wanted it. By ear, it sounds like it's around 3,600 rpm. I think 4,000 would be ok with a quality zinc oil.