tec questions

Hey guys,

I have a 6hp Tecumseh here. Its on my manco big cat bike. I've been looking at it and noticed 4 wires coming out of it. There's a red, yellow, green and black. Does this mean I possibly have the option to add lights and a battery? I noticed there doesn't seem to be an opening for a starter but there are two empty bolt holes on the side. Does anyone have a picture of an electric starter on an ohh60?

Any help would be appreciated.
OHH60-71182D
YTPXS.1951AB

Good chance your motor has an alternator for charging a battery.
How would I know for sure? Just check with a volt meter? The wires are all going into a plug but on the connecting plug there are only 2 coming out. I believe the yellow and red are not connected to anything.

Any pictures of what a motor with a starter would look like? I found a starter on eBay but the picture has 4 bolts, that doesn't seem like it would work on mine.

What's a good LED headlight for this? How about size? 5" or 7"? I'm thinking something chrome, traditional style housing. I ride off road in an open field so I'd like to be able to see pretty far.

I also noticed a small fuel leak from the bottom of the tank. I'm not familiar with fixing a plastic gas tank. Maybe its just coming through the threads? Would thread tape hold it?

Probably the hose leaking where it plugs on.. The motor probably has a charging system.. I'm not sure how the OHH engines are wired, but if there are yellows and reds and stuff, especially with electric start, there's a real good chance it requires a voltage regulator..

I'd look for the schematics to the motor..

On a lighting coil, a red black green would be

Red + to headlight

Black + to tail light

Green = engine kill switch..

Body ground....

You could get a wire tester or light bulb or something... Ground to the engine block somewhere.. start the motor, and try touching them one at a time.. Possibly find red is hot, and black are hot.. :shrug:

Last edited:
Ok you need to go to GoKartsRus.com website and look up the Big Cat model 596E on their site. You will see a parts breakdown of the bike and it covers the wiring for your bike. The Big Cat model 596E had an electric start system as well as a headlight. The illustration will show what wire is what. Good Luck

Probably the hose leaking where it plugs on.. The motor probably has a charging system.. I'm not sure how the OHH engines are wired, but if there are yellows and reds and stuff, especially with electric start, there's a real good chance it requires a voltage regulator..

I'd look for the schematics to the motor..

On a lighting coil, a red black green would be

Red + to headlight

Black + to tail light

Green = engine kill switch..

Body ground....

You could get a wire tester or light bulb or something... Ground to the engine block somewhere.. start the motor, and try touching them one at a time.. Possibly find red is hot, and black are hot.. :shrug:
I don't know if it can be electric start or not. I haven't been able to figure that part out yet. Thank you for the help. I'll check that fuel line cause it is brand new.

Ok you need to go to GoKartsRus.com website and look up the Big Cat model 596E on their site. You will see a parts breakdown of the bike and it covers the wiring for your bike. The Big Cat model 596E had an electric start system as well as a headlight. The illustration will show what wire is what. Good Luck
Thanks! I printed out the manual from there. No luck on the headlight though. I found it listed for $80 on one site but there's no way I can afford that. I'm wondering how to find and attach a bucket then put LEDs in it.

Mine is a 595B model bike.

Last edited:
It doesn't need to be the correct headlight.. they sell pretty cool chrome ones for 20 bucks on Evilbay..

if the flywheel has teeth on it, it can be electric start..

It doesn't need to be the correct headlight.. they sell pretty cool chrome ones for 20 bucks on Evilbay..

if the flywheel has teeth on it, it can be electric start..
I've been looking on there but couldn't find any headlights like that for cheap.

So pull the recoil starter off and I can see the flywheel there?

I'm going to say it does.. It about HAS TO... if theres 4 damn wires coming out from a OHH Tecumseh, there's GOTTA BE more going on in there.. they all have ONE wire.. a Kill switch.. thats all that they have happening...

if the shroud has a bump, where the nose of a starter WOULD GO, it can have electric start.. It may not HAVE HAD an electric starter on it from the factory, so the back side of that bump, will have a small sheet metal cover, that screws on with a screw, and covers the hole, where the starter penetrates into the shroud area..

Just look for a bump on the shroud... Opposite the side where all the motor is happening.. The front side where it's just a wide open motor.. there will be two bosses cast into the engine block, with holes, where the starter bolts down, then on the shroud, in the same place, is a big domed area, where the gear on your starter goes under the shroud... :mellow:

Hm.. yeah there is no ring gear and starter application.. BUT that big ass cluster of wires sure does look like lighting stuff.. I'm pretty sure that thing will run headlights..

The engine will run the headlight without a battery.. assuming there is a charging system in the motor.. I don't see how it can not have one though..
Red wire was putting out 5 volts and it wasnt stable. Lots of up and down.
Green wire put out nothing.
Yellow wire puts on 3 volts.

I dont have a bracket to mount a headlight and still cant find an ebay special.
I found some blue little neon tubes in the barn today from the early fast and furious trends. I might try to put them under this bike.

If I mount a small mower battery on here, would I charge it on the red wire? Whats a good battery that can mount on its side?