Tecumseh 3HP 2 Cycle Question ?

OK so I bought this Tec. 3hp 2 cycle engine thinking It was a 5hp but Its not. Question is can this engine be made to run on a mini ? I'm not talking about bolting It up..but can I squeeze any more power out of It by porting, gearing, timing, bigger carb and exhaust.. or is It a waist of time ?

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

The thing about 2 strokes is they have very little torque down low. Ya gotta rev 'em to get 'em to go! Gear it right and you will be fine!

Generally making it breathe better via reeds and plate and carb along with header are the formulas. None of that is available for this engine that I know of, although I suspect some power products stuff might fit. But it's not worth it for that engine.

Get one of the Clintons, WB/Power Products, or a larger Tecumseh, or a Mac. Mac's are currently stupid expensive. (vintage karts) I'm running an A400 on a small frame bike, and with me on it it does fine. Geared it low, and specs out to 17 MPH at 3600 RPM. I give it a bit more than that, but WTH, it's an old mini bike with an even older engine. I am not building it for speed, just cool factor, because nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING is more cool than a mid-fifties, beer bellied, white man in shorts and flip flops tooling down the street with a cigarette dangling from his lips astride a loud and obnoxious, blue smoke belching, 1965 mini bike.

I too agree with CarPlayLB.

It's a nice alternative from what most are using... It looks cool. From a performance standpoint, the Taco 66 had the 5.5 version and a Taco 22 with the governor altered would walk right on by it.

67TACO-66.jpg

The thing about 2 strokes is they have very little torque down low. Ya gotta rev 'em to get 'em to go! Gear it right and you will be fine!
Thanks for the Input Eric...and yes gearing would play a big factor on this engine..I think .

I am not building it for speed, just cool factor, because nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING is more cool than a mid-fifties, beer bellied, white man in shorts and flip flops tooling down the street with a cigarette dangling from his lips astride a loud and obnoxious, blue smoke belching, 1965 mini bike.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like ME that you are talking about ! Hahaha How did you see a pic of myself !?!:laugh:lol Facebook ? :wink:

Yea Dave I under stand the gearing part...but can you ungovern these engines safely ?

Thanks Dave...from what I could find in the Tecumseh Service Manuals this engine is maybe a AH520 3hp. This is my first two stroke and I'm not familiar with the whole two cycle engine deal yet....but I'm trying !

I was wanting to do something a little different on my Frijole build ...and thought this little engine would look cool .

Last edited:
The Taco 66 that I referred to was tinkered with (gearing and governor) and didn't last long after that, so Dave has an excellent point.

For more modest performance expectations, your engine would look cool in a small mini... An alternative to the Harbor Freight offerings.

Thanks Bonanza...and yes I have a new 212 Predator still in the box....but was wanting to keep my Frijole build mostly with an American made engine

CarPlayLB

Cool! That will offset the China wheels! Hahahahaha:chinese: I guess instead of Frijole or Burrito you can call it the "egg roll"!

I was wanting to do something a little different on my Frijole build ...and thought this little engine would look cool .
Yeah, (in my opinion) that Frijole you're building is begging for something besides a Predator. (Stop the insanity) But since you seem to be going with an old meets new theme on that Frijole, it needs something with more ass than that Tec (Like a Mac) or an 820 so you get a bit of performance out of it.

OTH, there is nothing wrong with that little two stroke you have, but slightly revert to a more vintage stance on your build, (get rid of those heinous pit bike wheels) :) I didn't comment in that thread because Momma said if you don't have something good to say, don't say anything. I like the frame though. Just don't expect a lot of performance out of it, as compared to say a Turdator 212.

Don't worry about mine, or anyone else's opinions on your builds. With those wheels, you can run some quality juice brakes.

As far as that motor, get it running good, maybe find a more open exhaust. Slap it on with a straight chain, no brakes, just to see how well it pulls you. That will give you a good idea on what your gearing should be, or if you even want to use it.

On the 2 HP A400, I went with a 10t clutch and a 60t on the wheel. I didn't expect it to be fast by any means, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it did do. You might experience the same thing.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
You would be better off with a Tuned pipe on that 2 stroke

Just ahead of the Cone an back, silencer is optional.

OR the kidney type.

OK so I bought this Tec. 3hp 2 cycle engine thinking It was a 5hp but Its not. Question is can this engine be made to run on a mini ? I'm not talking about bolting It up..but can I squeeze any more power out of It by porting, gearing, timing, bigger carb and exhaust.. or is It a waist of time ?
How Two-Stroke Expansion Chambers Work, and Why You Should Care.

With 2 strokes, an expansion chamber will produce better performance than a straight pipe. The simplest design is to weld 2 funnels together, cut down the spouts of the funnels then weld them to the pipe. The problem with minibikes is since they're so small, it may be difficult to route them inside the frame. Older dirt-bikes had "down pipes" which were curved to run underneath the frame, but a big rock could easily dent the pipe when run over.

Last edited:
You would be better off with a Tuned pipe on that 2 stroke

Thanks Cory...

Just ahead of the Cone an back, silencer is optional.

OR the kidney type.
How Two-Stroke Expansion Chambers Work, and Why You Should Care.

With 2 strokes, an expansion chamber will produce better performance than a straight pipe. The simplest design is to weld 2 funnels together, cut down the spouts of the funnels then weld them to the pipe. The problem with minibikes is since they're so small, it may be difficult to route them inside the frame. Older dirt-bikes had "down pipes" which were curved to run underneath the frame, but a big rock could easily dent the pipe when run over.
Thanks kheper, I'll check into this.