Tecumseh cam info question.

old shed finds

Basically yesterday purchase is the HS40. But has the cam PTO. Ugly. .swapping the cam and side cover is a quick fix for better look.
I have a 3hp and a 5hp both 1980s parts blocks.
Basically what cam and side cover would be best choice ?
I try to act like I know everything but I don't Ha Ha....

Attachments

markus

HS 40 and 50 share the same camshafts, the sidecovers also cross fit, as long as they are both bushing style shafts like you currently have. small H engines intake and exhaust are reversed from the HS engines so the came lobes are not correct. Since its an H30 its doubtful that the sidecover journal is large enough, but in the 1980s the H35 started to show up with HS40 crankshafts in them in some configurations so sometimes the journal is the larger 1" size.

Also note that in later years the casting of the sidecover lugs for the mount bolts got wider, so sometimes they require longer bolts than the 70's versions depending on the year/era the donor engine is. you will want to verify that you have the correct length to go along with the sidecover if it is that way.

old shed finds

Very helpful thanks...
This engine 74 HS40 has been torn down and we are very surprised about the tiny crankshaft. .
It was pulled off a Aerrans snow blower..

markus

Very helpful thanks...
This engine 74 HS40 has been torn down and we are very surprised about the tiny crankshaft. .
It was pulled off a Aerrans snow blower..
Get used to it....its the standard crankshaft for the HS40's, Remember that engine was built off the the small frame H engine size Not a lot of room to work with.......Lil fellers still ended up putting the Hurt on big clunky Briggs 4 and 5hp's when they came out.

old shed finds

Get used to it....its the standard crankshaft for the HS40's, Remember that engine was built off the the small frame H engine size Not a lot of room to work with.......Lil fellers still ended up putting the Hurt on big clunky Briggs 4 and 5hp's when they came out.
Hey I still laugh at your " big clunky Briggs" Ha Ha....