Tecumseh carb leaking out the side vent hole

Bbqman

I did see it go through. I use a torch tip cleaner. I will try that tomorrow. Going to get snow here in Philly area starting tomorrow afternoon. I will report back. Thanks again for your help.
Turned out the low speed 2 1/2 times. Started. No difference. Went a whole turn more each way while feathering the choke. Nothing

I had one of those original HS40 carbs that I rebuild 5 times and still couldn't get the bike to run right. Bike never ran right since 1972. Here somebody descovered that I had a bad throttle shaft (loose) that was sucking air. Almost 50 years later and a new carb the bike runs better than new.

Bbqman

I had one of those original HS40 carbs that I rebuild 5 times and still couldn't get the bike to run right. Bike never ran right since 1972. Here somebody descovered that I had a bad throttle shaft (loose) that was sucking air. Almost 50 years later and a new carb the bike runs better than new.
I have a new carb coming. It was recommended by a few people in this group. I am going to spray some carb spray around that shaft and the gasket between them intake and carb. That gasket is new too. But I guess it could be stucking air from there as well

mustangfrank

Turned out the low speed 2 1/2 times. Started. No difference. Went a whole turn more each way while feathering the choke. Nothing
As much as I like to save old original carbs I think I agree it may save your sanity to replace it. Leaky shafts won't cause an absolute "no idle" condition in my experience but can give you fits trying to tune.

Double check...your carb kit needles and brass high speed "housing" matched the originals exactly in shape, correct? Had a replacement with the different circuit get past me once and caused issues.

Bbqman

As much as I like to save old original carbs I think I agree it may save your sanity to replace it. Leaky shafts won't cause an absolute "no idle" condition in my experience but can give you fits trying to tune.

Double check...your carb kit needles and brass high speed "housing" matched the originals exactly in shape, correct? Had a replacement with the different circuit get past me once and caused issues.
I laid them out side by side. Looked exactly the same. Well it's snowing here now I am done for today. Going on to get warm. Thanks as always everybody

Bbqman

Hi, tecumseh hs40 carb. Took it apart when I got the bike and put it in the hot tank. Put all new gaskets, needle, needle seat, needle clip and made sure all holes in the jets and the vent hole were clear. Float is original brass that does not leak and does not have had in it. Been playing with the low speed air fuel mixture trying to get it right. Today I was trying to adjust and it stopped I put it up on my step that I use when working on it and gas came out of the vent hole for about 5 seconds. I would like to keep this carb because it is original to the bike. Any help would be appreciated
I just have to put this out to you all. 8 inches of snow and my old toro 4/24 snowblower decides it wants to be like my mini bike and only rub on choke. It's an hs40 too. I can't make this up

old shed finds

Sometimes on these Tecumseh carbs no matter what you do to them they will never run right (been there, done that). I consider them a "dud" for unknown reasons and move on to another carb.
Michael
You nailed it right on...
Fully rebuild and float test needle seat good.ours runs like crap too.
20% of the time this carb runs correct and yes with this HS40 we fly up the road... But then half choke constantly turned needle valves ruined the fun....