Tecumseh carb on a Briggs engine............. (here comes the hate mail)

Before the smart comments and hate mail begin......let me explain - nobody on the internet would do that would they :hammer:

I'd like opinions on using a Tecumseh carb on a 5hp flathead Briggs engine.

Reasons why I propose such an idea......
a. I dont have any usable Briggs carbs
b. I have usable Tec. carbs (new).
c. I want a frame-mounted gas tank.

Has anyone tried this.....which carb did you use, and did you need to fab an adapter ?

Last edited:
No hater's here Dan :thumbsup:

I think it's a good question. Although I don't know enough technically to argue it one way or another, I just know I've seen some folks on here put all kinds of carburetors on all sorts of motors. It has surprised me.....Check out also some of David Wulf's threads, I am sure I've seen him discuss this in some of his threads...I think he even put a clone carburetor on an old flat head...don't recall if it was a tech or briggs though.

Most of us are here to learn also, so ask away.

And welcome to the OldMiniBikes :thumbsup:

buckeye

Do a search on here.
There was a member who hated Briggs carbs with a passion.
Had several different terms he used.
Always ran Tec carbs on Briggs engines.
TRK..and you will get some laughs as well.
A bunch of folks,have done it with great success.
David Wulff builds manifolds.

CarPlayLB

been done a ton...at my house alone! Tec carbs use the same mounting pattern as the Tillotson carbs. Use a billet manifold or the oEM piece listed. Here is the OEM manifold mounted

Just a side note, I had planned on going this route with my Rupp and learned the hard way that Briggs changed the intake's bolt pattern at some point. My engine was a '84, so the 691922 manifold had no hope of working.

That being said, the Tecumseh carb worked pretty well on the much-newer 09A412 I put on my Ruttman.

-Rob

I just did this on my flatty, i drew the outline of the carb and the block and cut two "flanges" and then tacked a piece of pipe in the middle. Then took it to my friends dads shop and had one of his workers tig the adapter. It works very well for me.

I started a thread about this a while ago. Just happened to click on this after not being online for over a month. I used a tecumseh hs50 with a intake I bought off the classifieds section. You could also use a Tillotson carb intake it is the same deminsions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk