Tecumseh carbs? Are they supposed to "pee"

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum and mini bikes in general. I race Volvo's.

Anyway, I bought a Dirt Bug a while ago for a pit bike. Did everything I could to make it faster. Got a killer deal on a what I was told 7hp Tecumseh. Now, all the id numbers are off, but these two.... 143-666352 and SER-6218D on the pullchord housing at the top, stamped into it.

Anybody know which exact modelit is? And also, the big question. Should the carb have a pin hole stream of fuel comming out of the carb? My gut feelings is no, but what could be missing? Its right under the cast marks, I'll get a better pic. But you hit the prime ball, and it squirts fuel. Still runs awesome, but is a fire hazard.

Sorry for this cluster, I didn't know where to start. And some pics of the engine in question. Its now mounted to the Dirt bug.

thanks for any info, Cheers

Welcome to the site!:thumbsup: You need a carb kit, gas should only come out the jet and into the combustion chamber. You have a stuck float sounds like, that or the needle isn't seating. Boil the carb then vat it in some carb cleaner, you can buy a 1 gallon can with a small basket I think still. It may or may not kit, some are too far gone from sitting. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Lol its supposed to squirt gas when you hit the primer thats it purpose.
If you have gas dripping without hitting the primer than thats a problem which is caused by the needle not seating right

to fix that move the little o ring when that needle seats more towards the bottom this will cause it to close faster and stop your leakage

your engine aslo looks like an 8-10hp just by looking at the shroud hm series I believe I really dont know but my snowblower is powered by an engine just like it hm80 and that thing has balls no stopping it :pimp:

Thanks for the reply's and info guys,much appreciated.

supernova, stuck float is very possible, i'll be taking the carb apart today. It spills out the choke as well,its pretty funny.

Gustavo, so there is supposed to be a hole on the carb? Its under the idle screw, and the number casting, right below the protrusion. It squirts when priming, and is a fountain when running. I didn't notice it at first, until my leg became wet. That was fun. The guy I got it from said he just re-built the carb, and it still needs adjusting. The screw holding the bowl on was so loose fuel was leaving the bowl.

This engine does seem beastly, only downside is its got a 1" shaft. It fills the void on the dirt bug pretty well though hahaha

Edit: I also have a question I forgot to ask. Its a total noob question.
How do I get it to turn off?/ Serious. Other than bogging it with the carb. The sparkplug wire has been spliced at some point, and thats the only wire. Its been effectivly "shaved". I need to remove the flywheel, because I can see the control unit, but no wires anywhere. I thought these also had an output for lights, not that I need it, just wondering where everything went.
I need to hook up a kill switch, where should I start?

Last edited:

jrzmac

1. A 1" clutch is gonna be pretty hard to come by and expensive. 2. you can pull the wire off the spark plug. Until you get a kill switch, you can tie a little piece of string to the spark plug wire. The just pull it when you wanna kill the engine!

Thank you. Yes, that is the only drawback to a 1" shaft, the clutch price.

I have a kill switch,its the stock Baja Dirt Bug one. I need to remove the flywheel to install it right. Or was the factory one installed to the spark plug wire (it came off a snow blower i'd assume with the primer ball), hence the reason for it being cut and re-attached?

3rd posted pic you can see the electrical tape where it has been previously tampered with.

the kill switch wire should hook up near the points. there is a terminal there where a few other wires go.. if your lucky there is a terminal there and it might be facing th case. if so you might be able to sneak it on there.

some better pictures. I cleaned the carb, havent fired it up yet, too cold outside for my liking today.

Pic of the hole in the carb. These are supposed to be there yes?
right above the 304 stamp

and where the terminal is.Not a loose wireto be seen.

please excuse the shoddy paint job, a po's job.

you are going to have to pull the fly wheel and add a terminal then. there may be one there and it may be facing another direction.
your looking for something like this.......see the extra tab under the nut. that is where my kill switch wire hooks up to.

richs

those carbs do that all the time its definetly the needle no seating sometimes if the float is metal you can bend the tap abit so the needle seats faster just make sure the seat is in corectly if not it wont stop leaking the side that looks like a bulls eye should be facing towards the needle :thumbsup:

rich.......i am in know way questioning the direction of the needle rubber seat but i was told that the grooved side should face down and i swear that the manual i was looking at when i rebuilt my carb recently showed the needle seating in the non-bullseye side. i havent put gas in my engine yet to try and start it so was i miss informed? i was given a link on tecumseh carbs and the digram specifically for the needle and seat install shows the needle in the flush side. im confused and worried i put my in backwards now...........:confused:
check this out
http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/tecumseh_engine_maual.pdf

Last edited:
thats what im saying and the manual shows. install the grooves side into the hole 1st so that needle seats on flat side of seat. few i thought i had to take her apart again.

Thanks guys.

The float was stuck open. The guy who "re-built" it put the spring on the needle backwards,forcing the needle against the passage way, not allowing the float to move. Its metal,and I did have to bend the tabs that hold the spring so it would go fully open/closed. FYI,I have a type 3 tec carb,and the manual shows the needlegoing into the passage, the flat/grooved part of the needle sits against the float.

Today i'm fixing the engine mount plate, and going to do a second test fitting on the doodlebug, and start it up and tune the carb a bit (re-set it when I cleaned it). Then when its running right, take off the flywheel and tackle the kill switch. Maybe find the aux output as well (snowblower engine), for a sound system obviously.

Cheers Fellas, and thanks again

Last edited:
I knew that had to be like my engine =) Hm80
One nice engine right there
it seems like you have your fuel problem under control
Its also obvious the previous owner didnt do a good job rebuilding the carb as you said the bowl wasnt even tightened right
Just make sure everything is ok and itll be cool
that thing is going on a Doodle Bug? if it is nice man its about time theres something other than a honda clone on one of them =)

Yeah they make them that big, but their expensive. I ordered a 1" 12t #35 comet clutch. Cheapest I could find. I'll see how long it lasts on the torque monster.

And no DON'T grind the shaft down!
Didn't plan on it. The idea of running a 1" shaft just keeps growing on me. Its awesome

I knew that had to be like my engine =) Hm80
One nice engine right there
it seems like you have your fuel problem under control
Its also obvious the previous owner didnt do a good job rebuilding the carb as you said the bowl wasnt even tightened right
Just make sure everything is ok and itll be cool
that thing is going on a Doodle Bug? if it is nice man its about time theres something other than a honda clone on one of them =)
I got it running, still spills some fuel. I need to track down a rebuild kit, have you ever ordered one for your HM80? Having a hard time finding one for a type 3 carb. The main needle is really worn out, it looks like a speed addicts face. I think thats most of it there, and old o-rings.
And yeah, these things are beasts. Starts the first pull, even with fuel pouring out the carb. Cant wait for a clutch.

And a teaser in all its dirty glory. Its just a mock-up, have to wait for the clutch. In the next few days i'm going to tear it apart and get all the paint off of it (3 different colours so far). And the frame is getting properly done.