Tecumseh Carburetor Question

JohnC

On my HS50 I have a lot of play in the top of the throttle butterfly. I put locktight on the screw inside. I'm sure that is tight. I am curious if there is a fix or bushing part number I may need. Thanks again.

markus

hopefully its just the brass shaft that worn and not the carb body as well. You can get the new replacment shafts easy enough. these should actually be addressed and changed along with a rebuild on older carbs as usually they are worn and actually cause a lot of idling and tuning issues. newer replacements are usually steel, so keep it clean so it does not wear out the carb body, the felt washer/seal can sometimes be added too but have to sometimes modify the spot on the carb body that retains the throttle shaft return spring on the older carbs.....just depends on the era of the carb.

use your engine numbers to look up the carb breakdown list for the correct part number for the shaft.

JohnC

Perfect thanks. It makes the motor rev up a little at idle when I let of the gas. I can see it bouncing around. I hold it still the motor idles perfect. I will change it out. Thank you for the quick response!

I had the same problem and swapped in another shaft from a different carb. Fixed it immediately.
The brass shaft was visibly worn upon removal

JohnC

Yeah I took one off another carb and its rides so nice now. Thanks. The carb was slightly worn but not to bad made a huge difference. I looked closely at the old brass one it has bad wear/grove marks definitely the problem.

Good deal, saved another original carb that's correctly sized and outfitted for the engine its on :)
I don't have our HS50 or 35 handy right now to look. But is there enough meat in the carb body to ream the openings a bit? A hand reamer would leave openings that could accept a bushing. The bushings could be custom made or cut from tubing of a suitable material. I don’t know about a press fit. JB Weld might have a product that would work for that application.
Just a thought.

markus

I don't have our HS50 or 35 handy right now to look. But is there enough meat in the carb body to ream the openings a bit? A hand reamer would leave openings that could accept a bushing. The bushings could be custom made or cut from tubing of a suitable material. I don’t know about a press fit. JB Weld might have a product that would work for that application.
Just a thought.
possible, but would need to be a very thin walled bushing....the upper area of the body casting would be pretty thin area if it went oversize on the left and right sides.