Tecumseh Exhaust pipe. Have part# but doesn't show in Catalog.

I have a Tecumseh mini pipe exhaust pipe. The number stamped on it is 33222. However, looking on parts tree, ebay and a few others the part doesn't show. I need to know what type of bike this pipe would have been on. Or even what a serial number would have been on a Tec motor with this part number pipe. Is this possible?

I believe the pipe is a Tecumseh and bends make it look like a HS40 pipe used on choppers. I really would like to confirm. But I don't believe it would be possible.
Any thoughts?

markus

Picture??? part number 33224 is a dog leg muffler for a HS40. I can dig the book out and see if I can find that part number.
supposedly 33224 is the part number that superseded the 33222. If thats true, it would be an HS40 muffler for slanted application.

This pipe is stamped 33222 mounting end side. I believe it will work on a chopper. It has the right bends. I just don't know if you could prove it was intended to use on a chopper motor. But maybe just knowing it was used on a mini bike motor would be cool enough.
s-l1600 (13).jpg

Sprocket86

Nice pic markus. I like seeing the old factory Tecumseh literature.

I always kinda wondered why Tecumseh didn't spec a ball bearing crank and cast iron cylinder engine spec for the minibike applications.

capguncowboy

I always kinda wondered why Tecumseh didn't spec a ball bearing crank and cast iron cylinder engine spec for the minibike applications.
These bikes were intended for kids. I don't think longevity was a big concern. They were already pretty pricey and I think most bike companies were more concerned with keeping costs down.

It would be nice though if steel sleeved cylinders and ball bearing cranks were the norm. There'd be a lot more nice engines around for sure

Last edited:

Sprocket86

These bikes were intended for kids. I don't think longevity was a big concern. They were already pretty pricey and I think most bike companies were more concerned with keeping costs down.

It would be nice though if steel sleeved cylinders and ball bearing cranks were the norm. There'd be a lot more nice engines around for sure
I could see the price point thing for sure. From my experience you can keep a plain bearing, aluminum cylinder Tec or Briggs in good condition for years if you change the oil frequently and keep the air filter clean.

Once run hard with low oil or it sucks dirt, it doesn't take long to wear one out.

Markus, Do you know if this exact motor was made available in a 5 hp? If so do you have a data sheet on that? About what year is the engine pictured? Where the motors with the rear oil fill only used just for slant applications?

Last edited:

markus

Markus, Do you know if this exact motor was made available in a 5 hp? If so do you have a data sheet on that? About what year is the engine pictured? Where the motors with the rear oil fill only used just for slant applications?

Those spec sheets are from a 1980 engine specs catalog.....last of the small taper flywheels. Not really sure on the oil fills, From what I seen that is pretty much the case. If they were singe fill, flat mount, they would probably have been special order for the bike/equipment manufacturer.

markus

no idea when they stopped offering off the shelf HS50 mini bike setup engines, They never stopped using glue on magnets for their lighting systems in general.

Totally agree with this. In fact in my experience, if you want a nice vintage Tecumseh in the used category, look for a clean looking snowblower or edger being sold by an older fella. The chances are high that this engine was treated like the prince of the small engine world it is. It would have been serviced regularly and stored properly. The vintage minibike engine was probably run with zero oil changes and left out in the rain before it was traded for a dime bag and a Jethro Tull black light poster. To a guy who did the same.

Last edited: