tecumseh H 35 valve lash

im working with an H35 and the clearance between the valve stem end and the lifter ( valve lash) seems way tight .....when leak down testing I am getting a slight leak around the intake valve i cant find a clearance in the book ....but I should be at least able to get a feeler gauge in ?

thanks!!!!!! I once had a china scooter that would not start cold but would run and start fine hot ....changed the carb ect turned out to be a vale adj....the book says you could use a vee block to my sander to the stem ....this maybe the issue..... valve timing looks funny also....also I need to check what valves are in the correct seat

markus

Yea some of the small H engies have the same size valve seats and can mix up the valves. Watch that you are not accidentally trying to measure when its near or on the compression release.

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

thanks!!!!!! ....the book says you could use a vee block to my sander to the stem
You have to be VERY careful if you do it that way or you will take off too much material and there is no going back. (Want to take a guess how I know?!). Remember you are most likely only taking off a couple of 1000ths of an inch. The technique my son and i use now is to clamp it in a vice and slowly take off the amount needed with the proper file. You have to make sure you are square with the stem with your strokes (both directions) or you will end up with an angle end. We coat the flat end/tip of the stem with with a black Sharpie marker so that we can monitor if we are taking the material off evenly.
Michael

You have to be VERY careful if you do it that way or you will take off too much material and there is no going back. (Want to take a guess how I know?!). Remember you are most likely only taking off a couple of 1000ths of an inch. The technique my son and i use now is to clamp it in a vice and slowly take off the amount needed with the proper file. You have to make sure you are square with the stem with your strokes (both directions) or you will end up with an angle end. We coat the flat end/tip of the stem with with a black Sharpie marker so that we can monitor if we are taking the material off evenly.
Michael
you are right >.004" to .008" is just a fuzz....hand file and lap hard to go back

we found it .....it has the wrong cam in it ....some of the H35s have the intake on the left rear side most are on the right....so if you roll the engine backwards it looks right.....H35 45352M use a 33149A cam....and I thought i had just flunked out of autoshop 101