Tecumseh H50 Stroker

OK delray , I messaged Dave (workonwood ) and he did some measuring for me , and by his measurements and my calculations his rod should be about 3.940 in length center to center . I'll measure my old stock rod tomorrow and see what it measures .

Im pretty sure that the length of the rod has the same stroke as a 7,8,10 hp Tecumseh but just has a smaller crank journal size to fit the 6hp crankshaft. I have that rod 36972K and one for a star engine 36974K and they are the same length just different journal sizes.

New lifters came in today from Blossom Racing , and as advertised they are a true 2'' long . I did a quick trial fit this evening and it looks like they will work out perfect .

delray

wow OND that's some interesting information mr clements sent you. when said long life valve guides? did he mean long lifters? or just a better valve guide material? I also see he said something about yellow springs. I am really starting to think they might be the ticket for your stock cam if you still had the stock valve length and etc part he stated could possibly be the motorsport retainers? I see the rod length is 3.950 and pin size .625 that is great info to know. I would like to have gotten the piston height before you installed it. but that's ok I think I can figure that one out or someone may have a h60 piston to measure off of? with so many different hp parts for small engines I might be able build something crazy with bunch of briggs parts and if I do I will post it. next winter project...lol
it will be interesting to see what kind of spring height you will have with the shorter valves. nice thing too about the H-block engines you can stroke them without the rod crashing into the camshaft. HS-blocks you got problems.

thanks again for posting that info. I do appreciate it.

Tecumseh H50 Stock rod .
Rod Journal :1.065
Wrist Pin : 0.625
Rod Length
Short Length : 3.245
Long Length : 4.935
Rod Length 4.089 C/C

Tecumseh Clement Rod
Rod Journal (no bearings) : 1.165
Wrist Pin : 0.625
Rod Length
Short Length : 3.050
Long Length : 4.833
Rod Length 3.947 C/C

markus

:) I finally wrapped my peabrain around this! When you, @OND , posted that info up awhile back I was really confused with the Billet rods since they were both what I have known to be The Motorsports rods (just made by different companies). The way it was worded I thought the Clements was specific to an H60 crankshaft......I just realized that the H50 motorsports engines are actually "stroked" from the factory, I never really payed that much attention only thinking that the crankshafts were just hardened but in fact they have a 2.50 stroke rather than the 2.25 stroke that the stock H50's had even in the later era. Interesting they did that, since the H60 does not appear to have made it into the electronic ignition era.

Now I understand!!!.....I'm a little slow sometimes :p I feel much better now, I have one of the Clements rods here I saved as a spare for a shelved Motorsports engine and when I read that I was thinking I screwed that up!!

:) I finally wrapped my peabrain around this! When you, @OND , posted that info up awhile back I was really confused with the Billet rods since they were both what I have known to be The Motorsports rods (just made by different companies). The way it was worded I thought the Clements was specific to an H60 crankshaft......I just realized that the H50 motorsports engines are actually "stroked" from the factory, I never really payed that much attention only thinking that the crankshafts were just hardened but in fact they have a 2.50 stroke rather than the 2.25 stroke that the stock H50's had even in the later era. Interesting they did that, since the H60 does not appear to have made it into the electronic ignition era.

Now I understand!!!.....I'm a little slow sometimes :p I feel much better now, I have one of the Clements rods here I saved as a spare for a shelved Motorsports engine and when I read that I was thinking I screwed that up!!
@markus-- I have two H60s with electronic ignition. One is on the latest Gilson and I built another for the Gilson Trail Bike. A bit easier to start! :)

This is a good post, I am enjoying it! here is an H60 that I built with a slide carb no gov, I took the head gasket out and made one out of .016 copper and sealed it with high temp gasket sealer. This manco mini would do 45MPH with my 230 pounds on it!
Manco 001.jpg

Thanks Rocco , and I like the bike ! What size is the carb on that engine ?

Took me a while to markus ! lol .. But I'm really liking these engines now ...they just seem to be built a little beefier and less restrictive than the HS engines .

Took me a while to markus ! lol .. But I'm really liking these engines now ...they just seem to be built a little beefier and less restrictive than the HS engines .
I'm still following along Eric. Do those H50 engines fit in the same frames as the small frame engines? They're physically larger right? Anyway, I'm still following. Rocco just posted probably the only Manco I can recall ever liking. :)

Thanks Dave and Rocco ! They are a bit taller Dave ...I'll stick this engine in my Lil Indian frame this weekend and we'll see what it looks like .

I've got the new valve guides installed in the block for the Briggs SS valves and they fit perfect . So with the new lifters I should be able to button up the bottom of this engine this weekend . I'll also do some measuring for the springs .

markus

I never really liked them, only because of the size weight and how they choose to fit them on a lot of the mini bikes where they hung way off the side. Although I have only had/ridden them on '68/69 rupps with 2 speeds and they were kind of a let down (just stock h50's), they were a great fit in a lot of the trail/fat tire bikes though. I'm just shocked that Tecumseh stroked them (the motorsports ones) and still called them H50's.....and the Karting federation was OK with that. I guess maybe to better match the stroke to the Briggs?? Someone wanted me to beef up their H50 internally as much as I could for an old Rupp, Hes got an optional NOS Dell to put on etc., so I may just offer him this Motorsports I have over His stock I started going though. Downside is the starter mount bolts and wide fins at the exhaust port give away its a newer block, but the old shrouding is a direct fit if you snip the air deflector out of the center. Plus the MS engines come with governer parts never even cast into the sidecover so none of that has to be messed with...one less thing i gotta do :p

delray

I'm still following along Eric. Do those H50 engines fit in the same frames as the small frame engines? They're physically larger right? Anyway, I'm still following. Rocco just posted probably the only Manco I can recall ever liking. :)
well everybody,start looking for a BIG BLOCK H-motor for dave. we know what next motor you want to build .....

Gilson,bonanza rear suspension,trail horse. few of my top pic's for a H-motor.

hoping see some more postings on your engine this weekend eric….

delray

they just seem to be built a little beefier and less restrictive than the HS engines .
yes they do...….

not that you can't have little fun with a hs-motor, but MAN the H-motors you can stroke them,big valves,bigger bores...etc.... looks like a lot fun to me:)

yes they do...….

not that you can't have little fun with a hs-motor, but MAN the H-motors you can stroke them,big valves,bigger bores...etc.... looks like a lot fun to me:)
Brian, my 60/70 hybrid on the last Gilson (blue one) is a torque monster....but the compression with the big 70 piston and shorter 60 rod will break your arm off...so electric start is necessary. Even with the electric start, it's gotta be bumped. These are big engines that were built to be long lasting. You do add close to 20 pounds to a bike with this engine. They are not as wide as the ohv clones and Briggs 196 cc ohv engines.