Tecumseh HM80 governor removal?

I currently have a HM80 that is going into a minibike project and have a few questions.

In general I know that removing the governor isn't the best idea, but how do these engines fair if the governor is removed?

I know I need to remove it completely from the inside of the case etc. Is there anything special I need to know?

Also does anyone else have any info or links on performance mods for theses engines? I've done some searches and came up with little. Exhaust is a given, but what about getting rid of the down-leg intake setup and going with a more straight shot? Does anyone mill the head on the HM80's to get a little more compression? If so, how much?

Thanks! Anything helps..

Guess you haven't been caught yet, but you can expect a butt chewing,, I believe there is a sticky rule on removing the governor, or even speaking about it in this forum,,
If you have ever saw a motor come apart from over extending the RPMs, well it ain't pretty! I strongly suggest that you reconsider removing the governor, without first checking out what happens to a flywheel and other parts when that little power plant comes unglued,, It's not something I'd want going on between my legs, or under my butt.
dave dickson

buckeye

A eight hp engine should have plenty of hp with the gov intact.:shrug:

I have five hp that are plenty for me. What you planning? Childless future?:laugh:

You can buy performance rods for the 8 horse engines.. If ya don't I'd NEVER over spin that big ole bastard.. Thats just asking for a blown up engine.. The little guys take it alright being everything is small and light.. Ya start talking 25 pounds of crank and flywheel with a 5 or 6 inch stroke with cast aluminum rods, no bearing or nothing, they shake and melt themselves apart pretty fast..

toomanytoys

I run my HM80 with the governor in place, but have played with the settings on the governor spring that I can get it to run 4000 RPM reliably, and have a ton of low end.

Sorry I didn't see the sticky... there are just a ton of threads to search through here on OldMiniBikes...

Alright I'll leave the governor alone and just adjust it to get a few more R's... anything else I can do to this HM80 to get some more power out of it?