Tecumseh HS40 ( A Challenge )

Thanks owend & markus, and not for sure on what this engine is going on now... the bike that I was building it for turned out to be a Briggs frame.

Last edited:
There was a thread on the carb choke levers. I hope you saw it. It was all about the "twist". Did you see it? He explained how to take the lever you have and bent it, twist it, bend it etc and it ended up on top of the air cleaner and looked good too.
I'll try to search for it, but, me searching for things doesn't always work out well ...

Danford1

Last edited:
Worked on the HS40 today and I got a lot done....well a lot for a old guy ! :laugh: Cleaned the block last week with the final trip to the car wash, yep nothing but hot soapy water. Then blowed it all off the air pressure.

3/16'' key way cut for the clutch on the pto shaft. I had it cut over the top of the original 1/2 moon key slot that was in the crank to begin with.

Crankshaft cleaned and ready to install.

New tec rings.

Piston installed and rod torqued to 105 inch pounds, with plenty of oil on the rod bolt threads. I kept up with the Int lifter and exh lifter so no valve adjustment was necessary. Valves cleaned up pretty good ...but I did lap them in with lapping compound...also installed new stock replacement Tec springs.

Valve cover got taken apart and cleaned in side and out.

Taught me somethin' today...need to mark the lifters when I take them out. Good teachin' going on, Eric!:thumbsup:
Yea Pete... I still checked the clearances before and after just to make sure all is good.

Looking good! What did you do for the keyway? Take to machine shop? :thumbsup:
Hey Kenny, my son did it for me, machine shop....but it wasn't deep enough so I did a little filing and clean up to it...and now it works good now.

markus

That extended 1" snout on that crank may wreak havoc trying to set that up on a MB with a centrifical clutch, But you know it may make for a good fit on a bolt on TC system, I think they require a spacer to get the driver pushed out off the backing plate anyway :shrug: Looking good :thumbsup: