Tecumseh HS40 Help

j57little

does anyone have a smal engine guy that they can recommend? My HS40 engine is complete, but I need to ship it to someone who can get it running. Thanks!

j57little

The shaft was so badly corroded and there was a lot of lateral play in the crankshaft. I opened it to make sure that the corrosion was just external and that everything inside was good. It was, but the PTO seal is wrong. There is supposed to be a seal with a retainer ring that helps restrict in and out movement of the crankshaft. The points were in rough shape - replaced. I also replaced the condenser.

The entire engine has been cosmetically restored to new condition, but I am now seeing no spark. I'll keep working on it. It will be fine soon enough.

markus

I opened it to make sure that the corrosion was just external and that everything inside was good. It was, but the PTO seal is wrong. There is supposed to be a seal with a retainer ring that helps restrict in and out movement of the crankshaft. .
The seal is just a seal, there is a separate C clip, Were those parts NOT there before taking the engine apart (if so YIKES!!!!!)

1971_MB1A

Exactly...crankshaft end play should have nothing to do with why you can't make it run (unless maybe it was VERY excessive). They ALL have end play even NOS.

does anyone have a smal engine guy that they can recommend? My HS40 engine is complete, but I need to ship it to someone who can get it running. Thanks!
I have a guy in Vermont who does beautiful work at a very reasonable price. Has done 3 motors for me. PM me if interested.
Bob

j57little

Because the points were worked hard with a file and would never be set properly. Besides, they were rusty and this is going to be a show bike. The wires on the coil were so brittle they fell apart. I replaced them and checked the coil. It still works.