Tecumseh hs50 cam

I received a ball bearing HS engine that was not running. After some disassembly, I noticed that the can is broken. My question is how do I know what cam belongs in the engine? I'm not even real confident that the engine is an hs50. I know the shroud can identify the engine, but not too confident that the shroud is original. Any help pointing me in a decent direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited:
Here is the broken cam. I see a number 2 and the numbers 44 stamped on the shaft of the cam. I just thought it would be worth fixing.

Looks like a hs50 measure cam lobes min and max with a caliper. I have some extra cams for that engine. Should have around .780 base circle. That would be smallest diameter.

markus

Looks like a hs50 measure cam lobes min and max with a caliper. I have some extra cams for that engine. Should have around .780 base circle. That would be smallest diameter.
I agree the exhaust port looks to be the 3/4" with the slightly different port orientation that the HS50 has, it is an earlier 70's block. The HS40 and HS50 used the same identical camshafts so you can't really screw that up (part number 33158)

Inspect that block VERY closely, Last engine I got in with a broken camshaft had some cracking on the cam bore at the block

I agree the exhaust port looks to be the 3/4" with the slightly different port orientation that the HS50 has, it is an earlier 70's block. The HS40 and HS50 used the same identical camshafts so you can't really screw that up (part number 33158)

Inspect that block VERY closely, Last engine I got in with a broken camshaft had some cracking on the cam bore at the block
Thank you markus. It is the 3/4 exhaust port. I will check it out for cracks. Also gonna have to look at the bore and see what I'm up against. Good winter project for me. The oil Dipper was also laying in the bottom of the block.

markus

Thank you markus. It is the 3/4 exhaust port. I will check it out for cracks. Also gonna have to look at the bore and see what I'm up against. Good winter project for me. The oil Dipper was also laying in the bottom of the block.
If anything it was always a true MB/recreational spec engine and the early version With most of it correct 72/early 73 parts still intact to transfer over to another block if needed. I dont have any early numbers recorded in white but an early black Mini bike one that would spec out the same for finding part numbers is HS50 67038....unless the numbered bolt on tag is still there somewhere (it will look like a replacement longblock tag)

I am finally getting this engine together. It's been sitting in a box since I posted last.

Ole had the cam I was looking for. Thank you.

I somehow lost one of the lifters. Does anyone know if they are all pretty much the same? I was looking at a parts diagram using the engine number " HS50 67038 " that markus mentioned above. I come up with part number 27241.

I also need an oil seal for the PTO side, Could anyone verify that part number 28540 is a proper match?

I'm kinda excited to get this turd running. I think it will do well on the Ruttman Spyder frame I have in the garage.

markus

your are correct on both the part numbers Pat. I am planning on a replica 1st version like yours, I dug out the early shroud, throttle pieces, and parts yesterday when I dug out some HS50 things for another thread. I am gonna cheat though by using parts from the early 80's on the inside, as I have some late model (large taper crank) stuff to use up. I will be using numbers from a 1982 or 1983 recreational spec so the tag will read a 2 or 3 and for the first number of the serial ;)

Have fun with it!

I am finally getting this engine together. It's been sitting in a box since I posted last.

Ole had the cam I was looking for. Thank you.

I somehow lost one of the lifters. Does anyone know if they are all pretty much the same? I was looking at a parts diagram using the engine number " HS50 67038 " that markus mentioned above. I come up with part number 27241.

I also need an oil seal for the PTO side, Could anyone verify that part number 28540 is a proper match?

I'm kinda excited to get this turd running. I think it will do well on the Ruttman Spyder frame I have in the garage.

Hey, I need stuff too! Intake manifold for a side popper, early HS block with correct taper flywheel, and a gorilla cookie! Also, I have it on good authority that bearing crank/PTO's are over rated, just like adherence to ring end gap measuring, but can I please buy one? LMAO! Reminds me of the lyrics in that Joe Walsh song,

I met her in the hallway
Bangin' on the door
Askin' what the funny smell was
Wake you up and tell you
It's OK to sleep some more
By the way, is there any you can sell us?

Great to see you posting this project Pat! And that aint unicorn smoke my friend! ;)

Hey, I need stuff too! Intake manifold for a side popper, early HS block with correct taper flywheel, and a gorilla cookie! Also, I have it on good authority that bearing crank/PTO's are over rated, just like adherence to ring end gap measuring, but can I please buy one? LMAO! Reminds me of the lyrics in that Joe Walsh song,

I met her in the hallway
Bangin' on the door
Askin' what the funny smell was
Wake you up and tell you
It's OK to sleep some more
By the way, is there any you can sell us?

Great to see you posting this project Pat! And that aint unicorn smoke my friend! ;)
Hey Dave,

Aunt Ester has that gorilla cookie, and I know a guy who can make the intake for a side pooper. I might just throw my project in the recycling bin.