Tecumseh hsk50 snowblower conversion Arctic Cat

That thing has so much power that Tommy the younger one hit the gas, it wheelies, he lost control & dumped it on the engine side. No injuries but the engine recoil was smashed in & won't pull now.

Back to eBay we go...

Was thinking I might fab up an engine guard on that side. Maybe just a U shaped extension under the motor to cradle that side if it tips again.

I went ahead & bought a carb with the summer choke lever. It seems to want to backfire at full throttle now.

With the winter carb it had a wider window with the high-speed screw adjustment. With this new one I get about 1/8 turn between sputtering & backfiring.

I seem to have it set just right now but it's still doggie. Also, it won't run with the air filter in. It always gets soaked with gas.

Ideas?

Is it possible that when I changed the crank I should have changed the timing key? Starts good, 2 pulls, idles good, it just does accelerate very fast unless it is under 50 degrees outside.

Maybe I'll try another new plug, or adjust the coil... I dunno

Ding Ding

Did you buy a Chinese carb? They seem to have a hair trigger on them as far as being able to get them dialed in. The sweet spot is hard to find.

Well, I couldn't take it anymore.

I tore it down & checked the valve lash. It was .002 intake & .006 exhaust.

I lapped the valves & ground them down to .008 intake & .011 exhaust.

Also I set the coil to flywheel to .012

Slapped it back together & boom the power is back!