Tecumseh ID plates

Hello from China..
Will be returning home over the weekend. Next week I will be getting the tag blanks finalized with the supplier with samples. I have now found a source for the correct number/letter stamps as well. Hopefully I can make some good progress when I return.
Regards,
Joe51

ID Tag Blanks

Tag on the left is the repo, in the middle is an original & on the right is the first run blank stack. Now comes the stamping itself and the rivets.
Regards,
Joe51

Update,
Dummy me I never checked the material hardness of the original tag vs the material I used for the repo tags. I did today and we will be re-making the tags when the new softer material arrives. No big deal, Just some more time.
Happy Holidays to all!
Regards,
Joe51

markus

are the current ones too stiff to uniformly hand stamp? I'd be interested in buying a few of those blanks if they aren't :shrug: I wont ever invest in a machine but I have gotten pretty good with the help of a little guide/jig to keep me in line with the stamps :laugh:

I going to be doing a one or two more of my "HS-X" engines and will probably custom tag them and I really need to remake a tag for an engine I am building for someone (I found the correct numbers to use for the bike she is building and current tag she found for it has some light rot on it)

Last edited:
UPDATE: I sent a few to a fellow member to try the stamp on them. As I suspected the material used was a bit hard to get a descent stamp. I will be ordering a softer material now that I have the hardness reading of the originals. Then will try stamping again.
Regards,Joe51

Material came today. Headed to the tag guy tomorrow. Still not quite sure I got the right stuff. Also, I have been in contact with a few rivet mfg's. Sent them pics of an original rivet. All of them ( some with 30+) years of rivet experience never saw one nor could categorize it. Everyone said it looks to be an internal made special. Not sure on that yet. Will keep searching. The main point here on the rivets... from what I have discussed thus far. hang on to your originals!
Regards,
Joe51

Still proceeding slow but sure. Here are a few pictures of what I am working on to stamp the tags. I purchased a bench top arbor press for cheap. Went to the local used steel store and purchased some pieces to start mocking up compared to various tag stamping equipment. I was shocked to see prices. Upwards of 1200$'s plus. Not sure where I'll end up, however I think it's a good start. These pictures are just samples of what I am thinking due to most likely low volume requests. A lot more to figure out for sure but I enjoy this.
Pic 1 shows upper and lower plates that will be have slots machined for the slides

Pic 2 shows a tag location guide that will be used. Disregard the stamp. It's just for location purposes.

Pic 3 shows base plate added to arbor press so I can mount the assembly in my modified HF 6 Ton press. That has been heavily modified.
This should get me consistent press force to get good repeatable stamps
[url='http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/500/Tech_ID_3.JPG'][img]
Pic 4 just shows where I removed the original press arm and guts and put a press down type bar in its place with spring loaded return.
[url='http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/500/Tech_ID_4.JPG'][img]http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/500/thumbs/Tech_ID_4.JPG

Lots more to figure out before machining begins. A scale will be added as well to locate numbers/letters and spacing correctly ( hopefully)
Joe52

Last edited:

1971_MB1A

So are you going to be able to do just the later model tags that are stamped into the front side of the tag or the earlier ones also that are stamped from back side of the tag ?