Tecumseh Info

cfh

I've converted one tecumseh hs50 from a generator to a mini bike. it had a tapered pto though. so what i did was TIG weld the material onto the taper, and then turn the crank end in a lathe until it was 3/4" consistent through the length. had to use a bridgeport to cut the keyway too (there was no keyway on the pto because of the tapered shaft). or you can just buy a new crankshaft from ebay for about $25.

Some did some did not...you have to break it apart and see if the PTO is a 3/4" (mini bike) ready or the tapered shaft which if you do have this one you can swap it out of the block without pulling the piston out. You will only need a sump cover gasket and a proper crankshaft and your good.

delray

I've converted one tecumseh hs50 from a generator to a mini bike. it had a tapered pto though. so what i did was TIG weld the material onto the taper, and then turn the crank end in a lathe until it was 3/4" consistent through the length. had to use a bridgeport to cut the keyway too (there was no keyway on the pto because of the tapered shaft). or you can just buy a new crankshaft from ebay for about $25.
when you welded the crank up ,did you go back and heat the weld job up with a torch to soften weld/metal so it was easyer to turn on the lathe or was the weld it self not to bad to turn on the lathe.

cfh

the TIG welded metal was definitely harder than the cast iron crank metal. but using a live center it really wasn't a problem to turn on the lathe.

cfh

I don't remember the filler rod, but knowing me, i just used standard steel filler rod. i could have used stainless as a 'maybe'. but probably just used steel filler rod.

I don't remember the filler rod, but knowing me, i just used standard steel filler rod. i could have used stainless as a 'maybe'. but probably just used steel filler rod.
Reason I ask, is I haven’t had a lot of luck Tig welding cast iron. Way better luck Tig braising with silicone bronze filler rod.
It prob depends on how much carbon there is though.

cfh

i didn't have any problem TIG welding the crankshaft. in the end, after cutting it on the lathe and milling the keyway, it worked out nice. it's a long shaft style too, about 3" for a torque converter or clutch.