Tecumseh Kickstarter Help

minibikefever

Hoping someone can help me with this. I am in need of a 590507 ‘dog spring’ for a Tecumseh kick start. It is item #23 in the attached drawing.

Thanks for any help!
I had one of those kick starters and could never get the proper cup for it so I let it go after searching for a year, but if you cannot locate that dog spring I would try an outfit called ( Alibaba.com} they have any spring you can think of and all sizes of torsion coil springs that look close to what you have? you might find a spring that will work maybe with some slight modification,just a thought?

Kartman01

I had one of those kick starters and could never get the proper cup for it so I let it go after searching for a year, but if you cannot locate that dog spring I would try an outfit called ( Alibaba.com} they have any spring you can think of and all sizes of torsion coil springs that look close to what you have? you might find a spring that will work maybe with some slight modification,just a thought?
Thanks, I will give it a try. There was a member called Bikerscum who was making them, but it seems he has gone inactive. Thank you for the lead with Alibaba!

I just went down this road in restoring a Hegar Kickstart. Googling Torsion springs leads you into crazy town trying to spec the right springs, or having to pay big $ to have a run of 100 made by a spring specialty company...haha. Anyway I found these springs on a surplus supply site, and was able to make them work for my situation. The spring metal was malleable enough so that I could take off one "loop" and bend the tabs to fit my housing. The picture shows the broken original spring and the replacement that I modified for my use. This spring may be too large for your use, at around 1.5" center diameter though. If you want one, let me know. PM me your address and I'll send it out to you.
Andy

Attachments